Broken spark plug.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Downtown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...

There seems to be a lot of myth and speculation out in the internet about anti-seize compound.

Here is an interesting(not really :yawn:) post that is about anti-seize on wheel studs - http://www.engineersedge.com/wwwboard/posts/13070.html

After reading these articles and wading through the Machinery's Handbook section on torque and tension in fasteners, and consulting the senior mechanical engineer here at my work...

I will continue to use anti-seize on the spark plugs in my Liberty.
I think that I will even start using it (sparingly) on my wheel studs being careful not to get any on the "pressure surfaces" of either.
(This is by no means a recommendation of of what you should do with your vehicle.)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...

There seem to be a lot of myth and speculation out in the internet about anti-seize compound.

Here is an interesting(not really :yawn:) post that is about anti-seize on wheel studs - http://www.engineersedge.com/wwwboard/posts/13070.html

After reading these articles and wading through the Machinery's Handbook section on torque and tension in fasteners, and consulting the senior mechanical engineer here at my work...

I think that I will even start using it (sparingly) on my wheel studs being careful not to get any on the "pressure surfaces" of either.
(This is by no means a recommendation of of what you should do with your vehicle.)

I would have to agree with you. I've had dry, un-lubed bolts shear due to excess friction, where a lubed bolt would not have done so.

It would make sense that the rated torque would be based on the load of the mating surfaces of the lug nut against the rim, rather than the threads of the nut against the threads of the bolt.

For that reason, and as the link you provided states, for the anti-corrosion properties, it seems to me the benefits of anti-seize far outweigh the possibility of over-torquing your lug nuts.

To the original discussion, I use anti-seize sparingly on all my vehicles and have never had a spark plug over-tighten or get stuck. I too will continue to use it, as like I've said, I've seen no indication that using it causes problems, whereas I have had issues with plugs being hard to get out when doing plugs for the first time on a vehicle I've never worked on before.

But I say, to each their own. I don't like being told to do something one way and one way only, so I don't think anyone else would appreciate me doing the same to them. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. It's the end result that counts. :grd:

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the damn thing out! Lots of PB blaster and lots of patience. Used a #5 bolt extractor and it eventually came out. Don't think I damaged anything in the process; it looked all good after removal. Thanks for all the advice everyone it was greatly appreciated!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got the damn thing out! Lots of PB blaster and lots of patience. Used a #5 bolt extractor and it eventually came out. Don't think I damaged anything in the process; it looked all good after removal. Thanks for all the advice everyone it was greatly appreciated!

Glad you got it out.

Dave

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used sparing amounts of anti-seize on my plugs as well as my wheel studs.

Awesomeness! Glad you got it out.

Downtown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok then...
Now lets start discussing Fram oil filters and K&N Air Filters
once again!:D:happy175::flamingdevil::Good or Bad::beatdeadhorse5::signs6:

(argue) :enguard: :shooter: :893karatesmiley-thu :dancingpoop::893Chainsaw-Smilie-:flamethrower::angry94::plugged::biggun::gayfight:

mentat30

Reaction score
I know this is an old discussion thread, I also wanted to confirm what the original poster of this thread said was the solution. I had the same thing happen to me and I also used a number 5 extractor.

o5jeeplib

Reaction score
I have to ask
I have spark plug threads stuck in spark plug hole every thing else came out on o5 jeep liberty limited 3.7 how'd you do it???

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to ask
I have spark plug threads stuck in spark plug hole every thing else came out on o5 jeep liberty limited 3.7 how'd you do it???
With a broken bolt removal tool.
You must be registered for see images attach