Bright Green Fluid Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2002_KJ

Reaction score
Went for a drive the other day, it's been hot out so I turned on the A/C. When I turned it on I thought I heard like an pressure release noise (may have been something else) coming from the engine and I noticed that the air wasn't coming out cold. When I arrived to where I was going I popped the hood to see if the compressor was running with the A/C on and I noticed a substantial amount of green fluid all over the area between where the coolant overflow tank is and the compressor (I included an image.)

Took the car to my mechanic who had worked on the A/C in the past and upon hearing "green fluid" they assumed it was engine coolant like a leak from the radiator, except in the overflow tank my coolant is reddish/orange in color not green? I told them that I thought the leak happened after turning on the A/C and that it seemed maybe to be coming from the compressor or the lines near it, as that's where most of the green fluid seemed to be. They're still checking things out right now but they were skeptical about this (maybe the misunderstanding is from a difference in fluid colors for different Jeep years?)

Anybody have any issues like this before or know what the problem could be? The coolant temperature on the dash remained in the middle and didn't go up. I had my transmission fluid and filters replaced by the same guys recently (not flushed), was wondering if maybe it had something to do with that? Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ac leak, there's line right under the r coolant resvoir that could be spraying it where you're seeing it. Real question is what cause a sudden ac leak? Blockage, over pressure?

2002_KJ

Reaction score
Ac leak, there's line right under the r coolant resvoir that could be spraying it where you're seeing it. Real question is what cause a sudden ac leak? Blockage, over pressure?
Yes, the mechanic just confirmed that there’s a problem with the compressor itself, I’m assuming that’s where the leak came from.

The previous owner (family member) informed me that there was a problem with the compressor in the past and that it had to refurbished since a new OEM one couldn’t be found.

My mechanic told me he couldn’t find an OEM compressor either so he’s going to order an aftermarket one and replace it. If there’s a problem with the AC lines I’m hoping it will become apparent when they pressure test after replacing the compressor…

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The green color you are seeing is more likely refrigerant oil.

since you have a pro doing the work, you should be good to go.

i'm thinking the compressor failed catastrophically and sent shards of metal down the line.

please be sure to ask if your mechanic recommends flushing the ac system. Should be part of the job, but some folks think it is an add on. make sure you mention it if he doesn't

only want to do this job once.

2002_KJ

Reaction score
The green color you are seeing is more likely refrigerant oil.

since you have a pro doing the work, you should be good to go.

i'm thinking the compressor failed catastrophically and sent shards of metal down the line.

please be sure to ask if your mechanic recommends flushing the ac system. Should be part of the job, but some folks think it is an add on. make sure you mention it if he doesn't

only want to do this job once.
Nice, good tip. I will definitely mention it. I was already thinking that I should worry about the A/C lines, seals, the low/high pressure valves etc. and he said if there a were a problem with those it would show up with the pressure test. I'll ask about flushing the system though, thanks!

Latest posts

Members online