Brake pedal lag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATP

Reaction score
This is a non-Jeep related question, but is probably the same answer for most cars.

But anywho, my Blazer has a laggy brake pedal. The brakes do work, and the booster is replaced (had no power assist). What happens is, if I were to slam on the brakes, there is a slight (I mean really slight) resistance when pushing the pedal. And anytime you brake, if you take your foot off quickly, it takes a split second longer for the pedal to come back, unlike in our Liberties and other vehicles it instantly pops back. As if there is a lag in the pedal. Now my guess is there is air in the lines, the fluid is brown. They stop correctly, but the pedal feels spongy kind of, and has the lag return issue. The booster is fine, power assist is given to the brakes. So do I just need a simple brake bleed or could this be something more complex? I don't want to wreck the truck in the snow due to not being able to brake exactly how and when I need to.

Thanks!!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have ABS? It most likely the ABS module if you do have ABS and sorry a dealer only fix.If you do not have ABS then you may have a bad master cylinder.Try doing a brake flush,basically bleed at least 1qt of fluid out of the R/R brake then bleed about 1/4qt through the others.

ATP

Reaction score
It does have ABS. Any idea how much a brake fluid flush would run at a Chevy dealer?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does have ABS. Any idea how much a brake fluid flush would run at a Chevy dealer?

just flush them yourself, buy a quart of fluid and just run through master cylinder and through the lines. if that doesnt work, it could be your ABS modulator, which are usually dealer only fixes

ATP

Reaction score
I would do that but I heard that the ABS unit itself should be bled as well as at the 4 wheels. Or else it could damage the unit, is this true? I just really don't want to wreck because of this weird lag thing. It just feels like there is air in the lines, if I dont have to do anything with the ABS unit I suppose I can have the family mechanic bleed them. The fluid is brown and probably has never been flushed.

Im getting more responss on here than on Blazerforum.com so thanks dudes!

Members online

No members online now.