brake master issue??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mac_55

Reaction score
Hi

03 kj 330,000km runs and tows great

I've owned this jeep for 3 years the brakes have never felt strong

Replaced front and rear pads, rotors, pins and made sure the calipers are working properly with no leaks.

i have read A LOT of posts and tried the test of pump the brakes, hold , start engine and the pedal drops like a stone.

does this sound like a master cylinder issue? Jeep drives and stops but doesn't feel like it would lock up for an emergency, plus i get worried when braking slow or hard when towing my 16 foot boat

my wife likes to take the jeep when I'm on night shift and the pedal drops a lot before the brakes engage,

I'm thinking internal leak as the level is always at full

Thanks for anyone's input

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a failed master cylinder. Replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
X2 time for a new master cyl.
After install, bleeding will be required, and will be good to get new DOT3 brake fluid in there.
I also trailer a boat, and got new rotors with semi-metallic brake pads, much better now.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My MC test; engine running, press pedal until moderate pressure is felt, let off ever so slightly, then ease back down. Do this last two steps repeatedly, if pedal goes "deeper" on any down press, piston is bypassing fluid and needs replaced.

New master cylindershould be bench bled before install. then bleed lines at MC when first hooked up. No need to bleed entire system unless you want to do a flush at same time.

Bob