brake and ABS lights were on and speedometer stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sanctuary2kj

Reaction score
#-o I drove my 2002 Jeep Liberty sport from New York to Canada last weekend and on the way back to New York the brakes and ABS light come on . Then, my speedometer stopped working ](*,) . I really didn’t have any idea how fast or slow I was driving . After I got home the next day I washed my Jeep and checked to see if I still have the problems… guess what I still had the brake and ABS lights on and the speedometer was not working. The following day I had to go to work so I goy in my Liberty and the brake and ABS lights were off and the speedometer was working too. I been driving the car for 2 days already and everything is fine [-o< . So what the hell is happening???? Any body had or has the same problem as me? Please, can some body tell me what is happening ….
I need help……

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yep.....moving this on to general..will remove the one in electronics...

i know you just want to get ur problem out there..but most of us check everything whenever there is a new post.....

as to ur question..

are u still under warranty? take it in...could be the BCM being all freaky.....

what's the specifics on ur KJ (trim, year, etc, etc)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor for the speed and the abs is on the rear diff. A couple of times the wiring will rub on something and short out. Check it out.

chromed1

Reaction score
I have just had the same problem fixed on my 06 Liberty.
The problem would go away if I restarted the car after it had warmed up.
The dealership took three months to fix it!! They eventually said it was the whole ABS pump, but who knows. It may have just been a wiring problem with the ABS.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I guy at work just had the spedo and cruise go all funky. It was the sensor in the rear, as stated above. Cost about $200, his is an '02 as well.