Bouncy rear after lift install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How long have you had the Monroe shocks?
Do you get any squeaking or noise from them?
Last question do they install without any modifications?

Never any noise on any of mine, if there is some dry silicone or something similar would take care of it I assume
On some years the lower spring perch is a bit different and has to be trimmed slightly

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How long have you had the Monroe shocks?
Do you get any squeaking or noise from them?
Last question do they install without any modifications?
Monroe #58649 has been on Jeep for 3 years now. Installed with no modifications.
Occasionally lately I've noticed a few squeaks only when it cold out & first heading out.
Once driving within 2 minutes/ rear suspension gets moving or warmed up shall we call it, they are quiet.
They have tightened up the back end nicely, less body roll, and can handle the rear loads very well.
The main reason I installed them was because I blew out a Bilstien & the 948's over the years had sagged a bit. Now it's level again.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monroe #58649 has been on Jeep for 3 years now. Installed with no modifications.
Occasionally lately I've noticed a few squeaks only when it cold out & first heading out.
Once driving within 2 minutes/ rear suspension gets moving or warmed up shall we call it, they are quiet.
They have tightened up the back end nicely, less body roll, and can handle the rear loads very well.
The main reason I installed them was because I blew out a Bilstien & the 948's over the years had sagged a bit. Now it's level again.
Out of curiosity, would the part number for the Monroe be the same for a lifted KK as for a lifted KJ? I have JBA’s 4” lift, but it’s probably closer to 3.5” by now. Also I tow regularly and my camping trailer has a heavy tongue weight (although I’ve never measured it). I’m sure the extra springs would help in the rear.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, would the part number for the Monroe be the same for a lifted KK as for a lifted KJ? I have JBA’s 4” lift, but it’s probably closer to 3.5” by now. Also I tow regularly and my camping trailer has a heavy tongue weight (although I’ve never measured it). I’m sure the extra springs would help in the rear.
Yes
rear springs are different but shocks are same

Reaction score
I've ordered my 948 springs but still tossing shock decisions...
Was thinking primarily about Bilstein 24-185660...
Although the N132L pair is only $100CAD more after all.

But the concept of coil-over rear shocks like the Monroe #58649 is totally new to me. They are less expensive than either Bilstein or OME option. Does this type of shock provide a benefit while not towing? I'm guessing it might reduce sag when loaded with 4 adults and gear, but surely it adds to the effective spring rate also..?

(03 KJ 3.7 with 927/948 coming, no rooftop gear or towing planned)

Last edited:

Jaybird91

Reaction score
Im looking for a rear shock/spring upgrade. What rear shocks can we use for the rear then?

Last edited:

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a rear shock/spring upgrade. What rear shocks can we use for the rear then?
If you’re lifting, I highly recommend the OME N132L rear shocks. They are specifically made for a lifted jeep liberty. I was not happy with the Bilstein shocks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lifted OME 948 springs
as far as shocks either the ME 132Ls or I run Bilstein 24-185660 on one of mine and no issues
some complain about the Bilsteins but we have used them on over 50 KJ lifts with no issues at all, no complaints from the owners
of course I like to stay with the 5100 series

Jaybird91

Reaction score
Lifted OME 948 springs
as far as shocks either the ME 132Ls or I run Bilstein 24-185660 on one of mine and no issues
some complain about the Bilsteins but we have used them on over 50 KJ lifts with no issues at all, no complaints from the owners
of course I like to stay with the 5100 series
Would if i go with the Monroe's #58649 for the rear and for the front ome springs and bilsteins? Since its going to lift the front 2.5 inches the monroes should even out the height in the back?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Would if i go with the Monroe's #58649 for the rear and for the front ome springs and bilsteins? Since its going to lift the front 2.5 inches the monroes should even out the height in the back?
LOL no
springs provide lift
shocks control the ride and bounce of the springs
while the Monroe coilovers do provide a bit of lift they are not for that purpose and would not work in the way you are thinking

Jaybird91

Reaction score
LOL no
springs provide lift
shocks control the ride and bounce of the springs
while the Monroe coilovers do provide a bit of lift they are not for that purpose and would not work in the way you are thinking
So i would still need another set of springs for the rear ? Like ome 948 with just bilstein shocks.

Last edited:

Jaybird91

Reaction score
Yes , that is correct

Sorry to keep bugging but i found these shocks and wanted to see if these are the ones for the rear on my kj. They are mopar brand #52106928AB. Could i use these with ome 948 as a combo for rear?

Attachments

• B833893F-CE9A-47F3-B4F5-EAF5428B9971.jpeg
    B833893F-CE9A-47F3-B4F5-EAF5428B9971.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 9

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep bugging but i found these shocks and wanted to see if these are the ones for the rear on my kj. They are mopar brand #52106928AB. Could i use these with ome 948 as a combo for rear?
Technically they would work if for a 99-04 Dakota 4x4 club cab
But as far as lasting very long, I wouldn't waste my money on them

Latest posts

Members online