bought a JET chip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
people are always asking and i see many mixed reviews about Jet chips for their cars. (the liberty at least) i bought it for a little over 200 bux, probably could have gotten it cheaper used but i like new things. any way, the short answer is....... yes it works. i do notice more power (flat out at about 35-60 i can feel it the most) on premium fuel, it shifts better and it is a little more responsive especially in 3rd gear at low speed dont know about MPG but i never cared about that to begin with. most people will find the gains not worth the price but there is definately an improvement. i also have upgraded intake and exhaust to help. btw i drive an 07 sport.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chips

Did you get the Stage I or the Stage II?

From what I've read, they do work at first, until your computer starts to compensate for the adjustments the chip makes. Once this happens, you're back to stock operation.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get the Stage I or the Stage II?

From what I've read, they do work at first, until your computer starts to compensate for the adjustments the chip makes. Once this happens, you're back to stock operation.
stage II. ive heard that too, and ive heard the opposite. only time will tell i guess.

fulltimer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many miles, or how time it will take for the computer to re-learn and change the settings?

Terry

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many miles, or how time it will take for the computer to re-learn and change the settings?

Terry
if it will at all... these are the same people who told me the chip would have no affect at all. they were wrong about that.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine computer will take 50 starts to relearn, and reconfigure the engine back to stock.

The JET stage 2 does include some transmission remapping that will stay put.

BMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly related, but quite a different vehicle I'm talking about:

On my Monster (motorcycle) the ecu is constantly changing the a/f ratio to be what it thinks is best. It reads from the O2 sensor and adjusts accordingly. By unplugging my O2 sensor and then resetting the ecu I could return the bike to stock fuel mapping, without it being able to change.

Just a thought really, I dont know anything about the lib's brain or it's fuel mapping process. But it does seem like if you wanted to there should be a way to get it to stop learning and just running its default fuel map.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So what if the programming does go back to stock after a while. What if you just unhook the battery and then rehook it. Will the jet chip then take over again??

Dave

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the Stage 1. I've actully dyno'd it unlike Jet, and you won't like the results. I haven't dyno'd the Stage 2, but would think that it could help a little at certain RPMs. I've heard this from people with seat of the pants experience, but I've never heard of anyone doing dyno testing with the Stage 2 and a KJ with a 3.7. However, it shouldn't help anywhere the torque management kicks in with it stock, and it may actually hurt performance in those areas. If you really want a performance increase, there's no replacement for a shift kit, upgraded torque converter, and B&G flash.

fulltimer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no replacement for displacement!

My dad figures that V6 diesel out of a Grand Cherokee would be nice in our KJ!
I wonder how much is involved to perform that transplant?

With the amount of torque my guess is you would have to do the same as you would if you added the V-8.

Terry

fulltimer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, can of worms! Better off just to buy another model of Jeep.
My wife has her eyes on a Commander!

If I had the $$$$ I would do! It would be very unique. That is one of the nice points to a KJ on the trail, 99% of the Jeeps are Wranglers. Pretty much look the same too.

Terry

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well after more driving, the chip seems almost worth it alone (to me) just for the ****** improvements. power gains are more noticable at higer revs but throttle response is much improved at lower speeds.

I was wondering if i disconected the battery would the chip regain control again, too.

Nursecosmo

Reaction score
There's no replacement for displacement!

My dad figures that V6 diesel out of a Grand Cherokee would be nice in our KJ!
I wonder how much is involved to perform that transplant?

Just buy a stock CRD KJ and Chip it or get a retune. No complicated implanting needed.

Members online

No members online now.