bogs down when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any ideas what causes this? Everything is fine from 0-40 then 50 and up but between 40-45 it seems to bog down and lose power until I give it more gas then it picks up again and it's fine.
I thought it was the plugs so I put new ones in but it hasn't changed.
Air filter is clean.

Thanks

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just last week my wife was saying that the jeep didn't have it's passing power, so I am doing the plugs and throtle body this weekend,

but I thought I would try some B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor Fuel Injector and Fuel System Cleaner , and put this in last weekend

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/570733-b-12-chemtool-carburetor-fuel-injector-fuel-system-cleaner-15-fl-oz-by-berryman-part-0116.html

I was surprised when my wife called me up at 630 am and said, "what did you do to my jeep, it's peppy"

so I guess it works, can try it, on sale at advance auto parts

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic transmssion? Isn't that the speed when OD is coming in? Give it gas and it goes right off?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Bogged....

Last time I was bogged down it was in the mud! :icon_lol:
I like to hear that power and performance, revving from a motor in tune.
Start at the battery, load test it. By all means run a fuel injector cleaner, spray that throttle body clean, with the IAC and ports, see them sparkling in the sun! Take that PCV valve off and clean it or replace it, if it lacks a shake rattle & Roll
With no CE light...have no fright....restored power may be in sight!:gr_grin:

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans issue? I guess start with the basics - trans fluid check and when was last time the trans was serviced (flush and filter). I try to change it more with the season now that I noticed temperature (like now going from -20s to 10 in same week) can affect old trans fluid and it shifts smoother if I take care of it. Have used B&N in Ottawa but trust Mike over at Orleans Dodge service - might want to just drive up and ask?

Mind you I do have the 42RFE which has been bulletproof knock wood. The 42RLE shifts different without the second setup and is obviously programmed really differently.

Gear Ratios

42RLE 45RFE 545RFE
1st 2.84 3.00 3.00
2nd Up 1.57 1.67 1.67
2nd Down 1.57 1.50 1.50
3rd 1.00 1.00 1.00
4th 0.69 0.75 0.75
5th N/A N/A 0.67
Rev 2.21 3.00 3.00

Do you have power loss in heavy reverse?

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans issue? I guess start with the basics - trans fluid check and when was last time the trans was serviced (flush and filter). I try to change it more with the season now that I noticed temperature (like now going from -20s to 10 in same week) can affect old trans fluid and it shifts smoother if I take care of it. Have used B&N in Ottawa but trust Mike over at Orleans Dodge service - might want to just drive up and ask?

Mind you I do have the 42RFE which has been bulletproof knock wood. The 42RLE shifts different without the second setup and is obviously programmed really differently.

Gear Ratios

42RLE 45RFE 545RFE
1st 2.84 3.00 3.00
2nd Up 1.57 1.67 1.67
2nd Down 1.57 1.50 1.50
3rd 1.00 1.00 1.00
4th 0.69 0.75 0.75
5th N/A N/A 0.67
Rev 2.21 3.00 3.00

Do you have power loss in heavy reverse?

How much did they charge you for a filter and flush @ B&N?

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would have to dig up receipts but it was more than dealers even couple years ago. Had a truck in for transmission repair at the time and they have a really good shop and the guys know transmissions.

http://www.bnn-transmission.com/index.html

They also have high pressure flush machine but I've heard not recommended for a lot of mopar transmissions.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the ****** oil filter and pan 2 summers ago at Orleans Dodge. I used to work with Mike at Canadian Tire many moons ago in the service department.
Oil is still clean.
Ya it does bog down just when OD is about to kick in. If it bogs down too much I take it out of OD until it passes that 45-50 mark then it's fine.
If I accelerate fast from 0-60 there's no problem, only if I take my sweet time.
I think I'll clean everything up as mentioned. I doubt it's a ****** problem.....reverse is great too, something about driving backwards, I just love it lol
Thanks for your input guys.
Oh and HuntBuggy, if you need a hand with your lift let me know. Did mine myself.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do catalytic converters clog on KJs? Last time I had this happen it was a GM car. Slowed down as I sped up. :) But that didn't seem as subtle as the problem you describe. Throttle body/fuel injectors is a good guess.