BLUE DEVIL INPUT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SXYFSH327

Reaction score
HEY JEEP PEEPS ;) So I'm just looking for some input and opinions about Blue Devil AND the proper way to use it :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What leak are you experiencing ? Is it a coolant leak?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
none of the block sealants are going to help you.
you roasted the engine; they're not going to "fix" that.

blue devil and its ilk only work on extremely small leaks.
i've had success with them, but they also create a mess inside the engine, one that will severely hamper rebuilding it in the future, if you ever decided to do it.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the water system sealers I've ever seen are horrible, they block the radiator and heater matrix and create more problems.

rmp608

Reaction score
HEY JEEP PEEPS ;) So I'm just looking for some input and opinions about Blue Devil AND the proper way to use it :)
Hello, I used it for a small head gasket leak on a 2010 Liberty. Its been over a year now and around 10,000 miles ..works perfect!! Couple of tips..use a by pass hose so it doesn't go through heater core..and remove thermostat prior to adding it...Was having small levels of coolant leaking and had a mis fire code coming up..so It would not pass state emissions.

SXYFSH327

Reaction score
SO I stupidly let my friend help me...he "knows what to do" i have since realized he didn't follow the directions on the bottle and put it right I my coolant tank! So what do i do now? Rinse it out? My next question...a few days later I let it run for 30 minutes...no smoke no overheat no leak...drove it up the street and back it was fine...drove it thru town 15 min and by the time I got home it was hot and spewed out all coolant...I have a feeling he did not check the radiator to make sure it was full...any input??

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
The "proper" way to use any product, is according to the maker's instructions. If you want to give it another go, thoroughly flush the system then apply the correct amount amount strictly in accordance with the directions on the bottle. Good luck!

SXYFSH327

Reaction score
The "proper" way to use any product, is according to the maker's instructions. If you want to give it another go, thoroughly flush the system then apply the correct amount amount strictly in accordance with the directions on the bottle. Good luck!
So he actually DID put it thru the radiator :) but the thermostat should have came out from what I'm hearing...is that why it only overheated when driving it but not when it idled for Hal an hour??

SXYFSH327

Reaction score
UPDATE!!! so put in new thermostat and no issues no overheating or leaking that I see.. for a few days...then while running around stop at gas station for coffee get back in jeep its all rough idly and hesitant...then I get code for cylinders 3&4 barely runs wants to die so I disconnect negative cable for 20 put back on no more codes still starts a bit rough but drives fine...except my coolant is boiling and filling overflow tank but jeep not overheating AND my heater blows cold now which it didn't before the codes popped up???

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree that all stop leaks are terrible and should be destroyed...... however if you are ever in a pinch I would suggest GM coolant pellets (AC Delco Branding). In the shop we have used them in vehicles which are not worth repairing for years and they hold really well (follow instructions) and we're talking head gasket leaks and no necessarily small ones too (used on my Isuzu trooper head gasket). The kicker is to never let you coolant level go low or it will clog everything.... it works that well. Anyway best used to get the vehicle home if you are stranded, followed by a thorough flush and a proper repair. Worth having in the vehicle just in case.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I remember that GM branded Barrs Leaks fiasco. The reason was so they didn't have to bother with minor leaks under warranty, so recommended adding it, almost as a service item. At least 15 years ago it was realised it was all a terrible mistake, so the advice was quietly dropped. Read any GM forum and the received wisdom, loud & clear, is, if it's not too late, flush that muck out.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember that GM branded Barrs Leaks fiasco. The reason was so they didn't have to bother with minor leaks under warranty, so recommended adding it, almost as a service item. At least 15 years ago it was realised it was all a terrible mistake, so the advice was quietly dropped. Read any GM forum and the received wisdom, loud & clear, is, if it's not too late, flush that muck out.
It was originally developed for the cadillac for their north star engines. long story short the metal was porous and would have coolant leaks. That was their fix for it....