Bike Rack Order Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidG

Reaction score
The vertical part of the stinger (fixed piece that goes into the receiver) needs to be 1.25" lower in order to clear the (stock size new) spare tire. I would probably lower it by 2". The draw-tite high low drop is the best solution so far, but it drops the hitch 4" which is more than needed and extends it out which is not needed but not a big negative.

No horizontal extension is needed with the Thule. The stinger horizontal length is perfect, enough to clear the spare tire with about 1". Since it does give only about an 1" of space between the spare tire and the vertical rotating piece, the spare tire adapter would probably push the tire too far out.

The stinger cannot be mounted 180 degrees and still work. The bolt and pin holes are different sizes, the pin would not reach to the other hole (the new pin hole), the rubber angle stop would be at the top and prevent the rotating bar from being vertical, there would be no rubber stop at the bottom to keep it from rotating all the way down, and it would drop 6.75" from the hitch receiver - too close to the ground. I have heard others talk about rotating the stinger, but the many factors I see would make that impractical.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly the spare adapter I was wondering about but from what David said it sounds like it would then push the tire out too close to the rack.

However, if I bought the top piece and welded it to one of the bottom pieces I would move the rack back an acceptable 6" and drop it exactly 2". The one would give me a recovery hook too or I could use the other one and drill a hole for a clevis. Might be worth a try!

You must be registered for see images

DavidG

Reaction score
You could get this dual hitch extension to lower the bike hitch rack and give you a second higher receiver for a tow hook. However, it drops the lower receiver 6 inches and extends it 10 inches, both more than optimal.

http://www.get2buynow.com/workshop/towingreceivers.html

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...splay2?storeId=6970&productId=492929&R=492929

I wonder what the stinger height and length are on this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m...e_Code=E&Product_Code=59400&Category_Code=BRF

DavidG

Reaction score
On that one the 4 7/8" is not to the top of the stinger based on the pictures. The picture shows a square piece extending above it (maybe 1/2"?).

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m...e_Code=E&Product_Code=51953&Category_Code=BRF

The Thule stinger vertical height is 6.75" Since it needs to drop at least 1.25", you have a maximum rise of 5.5" so that other one's square piece at the top would have to be less than 5/8".

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have come up with a solution for me. I think I will purchase the standard 6" or 8" hitch receiver part, weld a piece of flat 1/4" plate to it, drill two holes in the plate that align with the chain loops on the factory hitch and then bolt it under the factory receiver. That should be strong enough to easily carry the Thule carrier and drop it below the tire 2" plus and still be removable with a little wrench time especially if I put another plate above the factory receiver to run the bolts through on the top. I may have a metal shop fabricate it for me and put square holes in the plate on the bottom so it will work with carriage bolts so they are not in the way of the stinger pin.

DavidG

Reaction score
Post a picture of that when you make it. I ordered the 4 inch high-low drop extension.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DavidG said:
Post a picture of that when you make it. I ordered the 4 inch high-low drop extension.

I crawled under there and looked at it today and I am not sure it would work to bolt all the way to the top unless I drilled the cross member and used something like the nuts that MPAR uses for the skids, just doesn't look like enough room unless I make it a permanent install which was not the plan. I am not sure that bolting to just the safety chain loops on the hitch would be stong enough and stable enough. I might consider welding nuts to the hitch cross member and bolting up through it. I need to take the hitch off anyhow to istall the skid so I will scope it out better then.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks David. I had seen it and it was nice that they had drawings. They have a 4 bike too which was what I wanted. I went ahead a bought the Thule with my 20% off deal at REI on Friday. It is a nice rack and I will either run it without opening the back or figure out an adapter.

I don't think I want a permanent mount but it looks like I will need to either bolt to the safety chain loops and see if they are strong enough, use the 4" adapter, or just weld a second receiver below the current one.

DavidG

Reaction score
With etrailer's 99 cent shipping, 5 % discount code, included cable lock, included anti-sway device, and the lower price to begin, if that Rola really only has a 4+ inch vertical stinger, it looks like the best choice. Had I not already bought my Thule and the high low extension, I would have got that Rola.

DavidG

Reaction score
DavidG said:
I ordered the 4 inch high-low drop extension.

That drop extension provides over 3 inches of vertical clearance to the spare when the rack is tilted down.
You must be registered for see images attach

It drops the hitch 4 1/4 inches.

If the Thule could be pushed all the way into the hitch drop, then it would provide 3 inches of horizontal clearance, but there is no threading for a bolt there.

Instead, the drop extension pushes the Thule rack to 12 inches away from the spare. This is too far away.

It also reduces the back ground clearance to 9 inches.

Normally the Thule would be 1 1/2 inches horizontally away from the spare but would not clear it vertically when tilted down.

The high low hitch extension is as advertised, but unfortunately pushes the Thule too far away from the spare. I could either use it unchanged even though pushed far back, put new threads in the Thule to hold it closer, use the Thule without tilting and opening the gate, or return the Thule and buy the Rola. Since Thule incorrectly advertised the tilting rack as compatible with the Liberty and were uninterested in their web site configuration tool being inaccurate, I am tempted to choose the last.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the extension/drop has an extra 3" or so of length that could be trimed off and a new pin hole drilled. That would get the rack closer to the spare.

I personally preferred the way the Thule held the bikes so I will continue to work with it.

Woo Hoo Libby Lu

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with a spare tire mount bike carrier? I really would prefer to go this way rather than using the hitch, (which I am getting ready to buy), but am worried about any undue stress on the gate.

Can I tow a trailer and use the spare tire mount for our bikes at the same time?

DavidG

Reaction score
The Rola TX102 has a 2.5" vertical height. It looks like the best option if you want a hitch mounted rack. It would still need a straight extender since it has a horizontal length of 7 inches and the liberty needs 12-14 inches.

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo Libby Lu said:
Has anyone had any experience with a spare tire mount bike carrier? I really would prefer to go this way rather than using the hitch, (which I am getting ready to buy), but am worried about any undue stress on the gate.

Can I tow a trailer and use the spare tire mount for our bikes at the same time?

I have the Thule Spare-Me (model 943 I think) rack and love it. It holds two bikes (the most I will ever have to haul) and I can still tow a camper behind the Libby. The length of this thread having to do with hitch mounted racks is enough to confirm for me that the spare-tire rack is the easiest and best for my needs.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo Libby Lu said:

I have had trouble with other gates and doors so I am worried about hanging extra weight on the Liberty gate. I plan on sticking with my hitch mount and when towing either get a front hitch for the Liberty or putting a receiver on the rear of the trailer to hold the bike rack back there when I am towing.

deviousz

Reaction score
DavidG said:
The Rola TX102 has a 2.5" vertical height. It looks like the best option if you want a hitch mounted rack. It would still need a straight extender since it has a vertical length of 7 inches and the liberty needs 12-14 inches.

So which extender will I need? BTW, I have a bigger tire mounted to the gate (245/75r16) but dont know if that matters.

TIA,

Dustin

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to use my Thule the way it is for now but I am going to have a welding shop put a plate on the front of a 2" receiver that fits flush against the MOPAR hitch with a short 2" stinger welded to it. I am going to have them weld a "U" brace to the top of the receiver with a hole that matches the MOPAR 2" receiver stinger pin. This will give me and adapter that will sit right beneath the MOPAR droping the Thule about 2.75" and only extending it back about 1/2". I don't think the fabrication cost won't be much over $30.

DavidG

Reaction score
deviousz said:
DavidG said:
The Rola TX102 has a 2.5" vertical height. It looks like the best option if you want a hitch mounted rack. It would still need a straight extender since it has a horizontal length of 7 inches and the liberty needs 12-14 inches.

So which extender will I need? BTW, I have a bigger tire mounted to the gate (245/75r16) but dont know if that matters.

TIA,

Dustin

I think you need a 7 inch straight extender for the ROLA bike rack.