Bigger Tires and ABS Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pez

Reaction score
I just bought a new 2006 Liberty Sport with ABS and 225/75R16 tires. I want to change the tires to a bigger size, if I change to 245’s would the ABS be affected?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
doubt it....i dont think it's calibrated for any specific wheel size.....(dont quote me on that tho)

your speedo will be affected tho...(as well as ur odometer)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seanpr123 said:
So then bigger tires mean more or less miles on the odometer?

Bigger tires = less miles on the odometer.

*Side note: that also means you will appear to lose more mileage than you actually do.*

The reason:

Bigger tire has a larger circumference(length of your tread if you laid it out flat). That means for one revolution of the axle you will move further than you would with a smaller tire with a smaller circumference.

Since the odometer is not synced to the wheel and tire, it cannot compensate for the extra distance you are traveling.

Seanpr123

Reaction score
So what is a stock libby calibrated to? I have 235's so is whats on my spedo 100% accurate?

/thread-hijack

DocEvil

Reaction score
ABS kicks in when sensors tell the system that the tires have stopped rotating prematurely ie locked up then a mechanical system is engaged to pulse the brakes to prevent it.

Having larger diameter tires will not effect the function of the ABS system but it will negatively impact braking.

The worst way it will impact it is that you are effectively increasing the moment arm working against the brakes. Imagine you were holding onto the head of a 10" wrench and I was trying to turn it while your were trying to stop me. Now imagine the same exercise exept this time using a 12" wrench. You would have to work a lot harder to stop me from turning the wrench. This is what happens when you use a taller tire.

Also, the taller tires will have more mass and thus rotational energy farther from the center of the tire. Energy in the form of forward momentum (vehicle weight) and angular momentum (rotating drivetrain parts including tires) is converted to heat when braking. When too much heat builds up you enter into a phase commonly referred to as 'brake fade' where braking is not as effective. Heavier tires is clearly not a good feature for braking since it adds to both the vehicles weight and drivetrain weight for a double whammy.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much it effects the brakes depends on the size of the tire, not the width. A 245/70 wouldnt really hurt performance that much, but a 245/75 will. Nothing major but you will notice a difference.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seanpr123 said:
So what is a stock libby calibrated to? I have 235's so is whats on my spedo 100% accurate?

/thread-hijack
A stock Liberty is calibrated to whatever size originally came on it. If you have bigger tires a dealer can reset the computer to correct for them, maybe the tire dealer can do this as well. FWIW, I have 235/70s on mine with approximately 20K miles on them and my odometer is off 1.3% compared to my GPS; I drove 412.3 miles according to my odometer from Albuquerque to Phoenix, meanwhile my GPS showed 417 miles on its trip OD which I reset at the same time as the trip OD on the KJ.

And I agree with the above comment on the ABS system - it is looking for rotation (or actually a lack of rotation) in the tire/wheel during braking, it doesn't care what size that tire/wheel is...

kolesy

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
How much it effects the brakes depends on the size of the tire, not the width. A 245/70 wouldnt really hurt performance that much, but a 245/75 will. Nothing major but you will notice a difference.

I would say its the weight of the tire. Your the more weight you put on the vehicle the less powerful your brakes will seem. ABS just kicks in when you smash on the brake pedal and would normally lock up the tires, it doesn't allow it to lock up. So i would say no to the bigger tires affecting your ABS.

My .02 worth

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kolesy said:
jeepjeepster said:

I would say its the weight of the tire. Your the more weight you put on the vehicle the less powerful your brakes will seem. ABS just kicks in when you smash on the brake pedal and would normally lock up the tires, it doesn't allow it to lock up. So i would say no to the bigger tires affecting your ABS.

My .02 worth

Its all about the gearing. More weight will also effect the performance, but a bigger tire changes the gearing of the drivetrain. Does that make sense?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
How ABS works

Just thought the article was quick to read but informational. Do we have 4 disc anit-lock brakes on our KJ's?? <--- stupid question? Sorry if it was.

Nope. ABS is an option. So check your sticker for it, or jsut slam the pedal on some wet pavement. You'll know if they lock or if abs kicks in.

dnm45227

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
MoladoGuy said:
How ABS works

Just thought the article was quick to read but informational. Do we have 4 disc anit-lock brakes on our KJ's?? <--- stupid question? Sorry if it was.

Nope. ABS is an option. So check your sticker for it, or jsut slam the pedal on some wet pavement. You'll know if they lock or if abs kicks in.

Not all kj's have 4 wheel disc brakes, the newer ones do though.

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
MoladoGuy said:
How ABS works

As best as I can recall, in 2006, ABS is not an option. It is part of the traction control system, and on all models.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brigrat said:
As best as I can recall, in 2006, ABS is not an option. It is part of the traction control system, and on all models.

Perhaps in 06 it became standard. Up to 05 its not.