BIG Power Mirror Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckasaurus44

Reaction score
I've got a Liberty Limited with power mirrors. The driver side mirror got busted so I bought a replacement. After installing it, I found that the power adjustment feature wasn't working. Even the passenger side doesn't work!

Thats when I figured out that my Jeep has heated mirrors and the replacements are non-heated. :flame:#$@%^!@!#$!!!!!

So, is there a way to wire this mirror in so that I get back my power adjustment? Can I just swap the wires around in the plug? The original mirror has 7 wires and the replacement has only got three. The three that it has match the location and color on original The original just has four more wires. The plug body is the same. If its not a matter of moving the wires around, can I just put a resister in there to simulate the heating element and trick the car into thinking it is still there?

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your problem is not that your truck has heated mirrors and your mirrors are not heated...All KJs are wired for heated mirrors. non-heated mirrors will plug in and work correctly in a KJ that came stock with heated mirrors and vice-versa. That being said i do not know what your problem is, maybe the switch came unplugged. Have you checked the fuses?

Truckasaurus44

Reaction score
If I plug the old mirror in, everything works perfect. I plug the new one in and nothing works, so the switch and fuses are fine. Is there a way to manually power up the non-heated mirror to see if it's faulty? Its got three wires: red, orange, and white. These three wires are located in the same pin locations on both mirrors' plugs, so I know that they should be connected in the correct configuration.

Last edited:

Truckasaurus44

Reaction score
Oh, and why doesn't the passenger side mirror work when I put the new mirror in? I understand it if the driver side mirror is faulty, but why would this affect the passenger side? Is that what you mean by a common ground?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I plug the old mirror in, everything works perfect. I plug the new one in and nothing works, so the switch and fuses are fine. Is there a way to manually power up the non-heated mirror to see if it's faulty? Its got three wires: red, orange, and white. These three wires are located in the same pin locations on both mirrors' plugs, so I know that they should be connected in the correct configuration.

The fact that you are only using three wires per mirror now instead of seven means that you will no longer have the mirror folding function (two wires) and heater element (two wires).
However the new mirrors should fine as far as up/down and left/right operation.
My circuit diagram is for a 2002 CRD Export model so the colors of the wires are differrant to yours and maybe the plug points. On the plug pins 1,2 and 3 should be where the three wires are located I believe with number 2 being the common one between the two motors.
If you ground the common point and touch + 12 volts to pin 1 it should drive the one motor in one direction; if you touch +12 volts to pin 3 it should drive the other motor in one direction.
Now if you connect the common point to +12 volts and repeat the operation by first touching pin 1 to ground and then pin 3 to ground...the motors should reverse.
This will at least test that the motors are working and not stuck at their end of travel.
Other than that I can offer no more advice as my circuit diagram does not match your setup.:disgust:

Edit to add: I only now see that when you plug in the new mirror in that it affects the passenger side mirror; I cannot see a common ground on my circuit diagram...I can only assume your new mirror may be faulty (or wired faulty) and is pulling the voltage down!

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alas we didn't get the power folding option here in the us (only heated and auto-dimming) :disgust:

OK that makes it even more complicated from my side as I do not have the correct circuit diagrams.....anybody here have the correct diagrams to help out the OP here?:disgust:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question, with no drivers side mirror plugged in does the passengers side mirror work? The reason I ask is maybe the R mirror gets its power from the left so if the new left mirror is not getting power for some reason then the right one won't get power? maybe you have a broken wire inside your new l mirror?

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I tried a little experiment on my parts truck to try and figure out your issue. First of all these are the two rigs I am working on:

2003 Limited (came without heated or auto-dimming mirrors)

2002 Renegade (parts truck, came WITH heated mirrors-no auto dimming)

I already installed the power/heated mirror from the Rene on the Limited with no issues, the power function and heated function work no problem. So I just went outside to the parts truck which currently has no L mirror and the stock heated r mirror installed. I checked the mirrors and the R mirror does indeed work with no l mirror (so that rules out my previous hypothesis) I plugged in a stock non-heated mirror into the drivers side and again everything works fine even though the truck is supposed to have heated mirrors. I have the same 3 wires on the mirror and 7 wires on the truck that you do so I am at a loss to what your problem can be.

Truckasaurus44

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the info. I'm going to try to manually operate the mirror tonight just to be sure.

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would try swapping out the power mirror switch, mine went bad and partially blew the fuse...i dont remember the fuse number but if you check all the fuses with a lighted circuit tester do it after sundown and watch for whichever one gives the least amount of light (if any) and swap it out and you should be good to go

BTH

Reaction score
big mirrors

Hi
Can you tell me how to get the mirror off to repair it please.
I put a post on here but to date no one has replied can you help ??
Cheers:shrug:

Latest posts

Members online