Big day for Me and My KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

george0029

Reaction score
What size was that aluminum tubing you used for the cross bars?
Looks to me like 1" maybe? Just making sure, thanks!

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
1" squared aluminum is correct at 48" in length. I will be posting new pics soon with the ends capped and the u bolts trimmed and painted.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
BTW the aluminum is awesome. It had the strength needed to hold a baby elephant and it is nice and light to help with mpg's.

george0029

Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks for the info.
I'm planning on trying this out tomorrow, since crossbars are always useful.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the caps for the aluminum bars?
Again, thanks for the write-up and I'll try to get and post some pics after I'm done tomorrow! :D

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Well I had to go to a few places (first the Depot then Ace Hardware) to find the 4' pieces of aluminum. Wasn't to hard to find steel, but I like aluminum because of the weight or lack there of. U-bolts you can get just about anywhere. Also make sure your pipe insulation is only scored not completely cut through (there is a difference) also make sure that you can fit the tubing through it before you leave the store. Other than that this is a fairly easy project. Also to answer your question I got the caps at the hardware store. Look for plastic furniture caps/ends. Use the ones that go over the ends not the ones that go inside. Much easier to remove it you need to, but stay on exceptionally well.

george0029

Reaction score
Stopped by Ace earlier today, found the 8ft x 1" diameter square tubing for $20. Everything else was there too except the insulation but I think I might have some laying around in the basement. So this is definitely my Saturday project :)

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Nice the only other thing is take your time. Have fun with your Saturday project and make sure to post pics. It didn't happen until there are pictures.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a pic of the rails in action. This was from our trip this past week. I have more if anyones interested.
You must be registered for see images

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got 2 kayaks up there. Go had and post more pic,s too please.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
How much was that rail mod altogether? Would make an excellent lightbar... hmm....

BTW: I just ordered pizza. Was a $3 tip enough?

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
How much was that rail mod altogether? Would make an excellent lightbar... hmm....

BTW: I just ordered pizza. Was a $3 tip enough?

Cost me about $20 per bar. Most expensive part was the piece of aluminum. about $13/piece. Any questions let me know. BTW I used well nets to top the u-bolts. (awesome)

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Looks like you got 2 kayaks up there. Go had and post more pic,s too please.

I did get both of them up on the top and didn't have to strap to the bumpers. :D
As far as pics ok.

Another shot of the KJ.

These are shots of Lake Ann from our camp site.

MMMMMMMMM Breakfast

Grand Traverse Bay via M-22 Absolutely beautiful. (This was the beginning of our wine tasting tour.)

Shady Lane Winery where the fun began.

Ciccone's Winery (owned by Madonna's Father)

L. Mawby (all Sparking Wines)

The Mac Daddy of MI Wineries Black Star

At This point TAwesome is pretty hammered. Shhhhhhhhhhhh

Chateau Leelanau (Still Drrrrrunk)

Last stop and probably my favorite (not only because of a belly full of wine) Willow

But because of the amazing view of Grand Traverse Bay.

NEXT DAY

Sleeping Bear Dunes via Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive.

Now this is awesome.

This is a 450 foot vertical drop to Lake Michigan.
3 minutes to run down 30 minutes to climb back up.

There is a small black dot in the middle of this picture you can barely see . Yup its a person on the shoreline. Look again.

You must be registered for see images attach

All in all an amazing Vacation. Questions or comments are welcome.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you think about using a small hole saw on the top of the rail, then cutting the u-bolts so they don't stick up out of them(nut and washer basicly inside the rail, use a socket to tighten down the nuts)? then you can get fenderwell hole plugs to snap into the holes, it would make it smoother on the top, and then there would be no studs or nuts on top to gouge up your kayaks or arms...

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as pics ok.

All in all an amazing Vacation. Questions or comments are welcome.

Haha... That wine tasting trip is exactly, stop-for-stop, the exact same wine tasting trip I went on with my wife and some friends two years ago. I love the dramatic entrance to :D"The Mac Daddy of MI Wineries":D and ended up taking that exact same photo. I had a built in DD on that trip because my wife was a few months pregnant at the time.

Cool pics, thanks for posting!

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool pics. I was in Traverse city back in 92 on a fishing trip, we stayed on the west banks though in Honor and walked the face of the Sleeping bear sand dunes.... beautiful up there, but too cold in the winter for me :D

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Haha... That wine tasting trip is exactly, stop-for-stop, the exact same wine tasting trip I went on with my wife and some friends two years ago. I love the dramatic entrance to :D"The Mac Daddy of MI Wineries":D and ended up taking that exact same photo. I had a built in DD on that trip because my wife was a few months pregnant at the time.

Cool pics, thanks for posting!

Nice this little rendezvous seems to be a typical round being as they are so close together.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Did you think about using a small hole saw on the top of the rail, then cutting the u-bolts so they don't stick up out of them(nut and washer basicly inside the rail, use a socket to tighten down the nuts)? then you can get fenderwell hole plugs to snap into the holes, it would make it smoother on the top, and then there would be no studs or nuts on top to gouge up your kayaks or arms...

I did exactly this, sort of, I tightened another nut down on top of the original one used that for a guide for my hacksaw. (BTW it is much easier to take a nut off rather than putting one on after cutting the bolts) I then removed the top nut and replaced it with rubber well nuts. I'll post a pic in a few.