BF Goodrich Trail-Terrain T/A or Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to stick with P rated tires that have fairly aggressive tread, the list is pretty short. I looked at quite a few of them side by side IRL and I'd suggest you look into the Destination AT2s. At this point they are one of the most expensive AT tire but they seem pretty great so far.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came with coopers, replaced them two weeks after the first drive in the rain.(With random mismatched cheapos used from Craiglist tilm i sprang for toyos) had same issues with them on a previous vehicle.
I'm really curious about how the Toyos do in snow/rain - their tread siping is almost none existent. Definitely look like an excellent offroad tire though.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I'm really curious about how the Toyos do in snow/rain - their tread siping is almost none existent. Definitely look like an excellent offroad tire though.
Like a tank tread. Even now with 20k miles on them, showing moderately heavy wear wear, they still do the job. The fronts have been in need of replacement since last August, I've just been too lazy to have the new ones mounted. Ice. Snow. Mud. Sand. Roads ranging from tire tracks through the Sandhills to the pavement on the interstate in all weather conditions. I have a set of tire chains that I have never even opened the package.

I run mine at 30PSI on pavement and hardpack off road, 22 when I am crawling through the rough stuff Took some experimentation but chalk test showed me the proper inflation for pavement. (rated at 33). Off road pressure depends on the terrain. Softer for solid rock, slightly harder for sand and mud. I am also careful with my "empty" loading. I keep a wide range of tools and science equipment in Bert at all times with the weight stowed to offset my weight- in other words, I keep it balanced.

I think a lot of tire traction complaints are a result of improper inflation, something I learned about here on the forums. (Like most folks, I was taught you always run at the pressure on the sidewall. I also joined the local Jeep club for their annual Newbies run last year, where I got excellent driving instruction from a professional trainer. I think a lot more complaints relate to poor driving style- it's a Jeep, not a racecar.

We joke at the Fortress of Squalitude that "Bert just drives over stuff."

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
ha! I literally don't know how that translates in terms of auto tires. :) I know what tank tracks looks like, but I have no personal experience with APCs or tanks.
Keep it in LOw and go slow and you can go anywhere. Bert regularly makes fully equipped Wranglers cry softly to themselves.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have traction aids like LSD or locker? Curious as to how the KJ does offroad without the mechanical help. Though, I haven't found grip to be the limiting factor - the biggest offroad limitation with the KJ is clearance.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Lets's not get to bogged down with off-roading & snow, OP wants a road tyre that'll perform well on sand & received wisdom is you do not want an aggressive tread for that but something more approaching a street tyre. A lower profile, rather than a larger diameter might be the way to go.

Al that said I've driven my BFG A/T shod KJ on the beach (not quite the same as dessert) & they were fine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.