"BETTERMENT" Charges from Insurance Company?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get this from your insurance carrier during a claim?

Supposed to be extra costs because they made something better during the repair...

Sound like a rip off.?????????

:mad:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get this from your insurance carrier during a claim?

Supposed to be extra costs because they made something better during the repair...

Sound like a rip off.?????????

:mad:

Unless they swapped in a Hemi for you, I'm gonna say it is a ripoff. I've gotta think you could appeal that by saying you didn't ask for their improvements and only wanted it back to the way it was.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't happen to me personally but a fellow worker's kid.. Went thru standing water in a Grand Cherokee and it sucked up some water and now he's getting his Hemi replaced or whatever. They want another $600.00 over and above his $100.00 deductable for a betterment charge.

his motor had about 29,000 miles on it...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't happen to me personally but a fellow worker's kid.. Went thru standing water in a Grand Cherokee and it sucked up some water and now he's getting his Hemi replaced or whatever. They want another $600.00 over and above his $100.00 deductable for a betterment charge.

his motor had about 29,000 miles on it...

So he is getting a Hemi swapped in lol. Anyways, the only way I could understand that is if they are thinking that he is getting a better vehicle because he is getting a new engine. However, that doesnt really make since I'm sure the resale value is going to decrease.

Other than that, isn't the whole point of insurance and repairs to make it better since something is obviously wrong in the first place?

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So he is getting a Hemi swapped in lol. Anyways, the only way I could understand that is if they are thinking that he is getting a better vehicle because he is getting a new engine. However, that doesnt really make since I'm sure the resale value is going to decrease.

Other than that, isn't the whole point of insurance and repairs to make it better since something is obviously wrong in the first place?

Yea...Hemi for a Hemi....That's what he had in it...

He doesn't understand how the water was sucked up..he said it wasn't very deep...He thought.. Standing water in parking lot after heavy rainfall..

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds alittle fishy to me on both accounts. I would say the insurance is BS..

He would need to be in water thats at least up to the front bumper to suck anything in... So idk whats going on there..

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the reason they do this is because they are replacing something used, with something new...example, a used Hemi engine with 29k miles on it, for a 0 mile new engine. If they sourced the engine from a junk yard and put in another used engine, they might not be charging that...either way, that's BS...

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but when you get in a collision and need new body panels, they use new panels - not used ones. And I have never heard of a "betterment" fee for doing that. My father in law owns a body shop.

Sounds like B.S. man - argue until blue in the face.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but when you get in a collision and need new body panels, they use new panels - not used ones. And I have never heard of a "betterment" fee for doing that. My father in law owns a body shop.

Sounds like B.S. man - argue until blue in the face.

actually now all but one insureance company uses LKQ junkyard body panels to save them money. I had to pay 500 dollars out of my pocket last year when someone rear ended me because I and my body shop wanted a new rear 1/4 put on my car. despite lawsuits and everything they are allowed to use junk yard parts and LKQ stock has doubled since talking insureance companies that there parts are same as stock even tho they have been sitting outside in who knows what type of weather. ohh by the way LKQ is the owner of the junkyard and LKQ stands for Like Kind Quality.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the hell out of here...

Wow I stand corrected. But that's the first I have heard of it. So they are charging betterment fees for body damage too if you want "new" parts? That's messed right up, but consistent with the way things go these days. Ugh.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad was hit by somebody in his Ram a couple years ago, and I remember him not being happy about them putting a used fender on it from a yard. It needed a door skin too, they did replace that with new, but the fender was used, they're excuse was because of the truck's age ('98)