Better Gas Milage???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
who wants to be the first to try it...? :-s
dunno...too much scientific stuff to read atm....
maybe in a bit..LoL

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
A friend of mine told me about this a couple of weeks ago, and at first I thought he completely lost his mind. But I did a little research on it.

I'm willing to try this.....if it means better milage.

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

What do yall think?

Acetone? Nail Polish remover? Um, ok...

So, who's gonna be the guinea pig?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
2003KJ said:
A friend of mine told me about this a couple of weeks ago, and at first I thought he completely lost his mind. But I did a little research on it.

I'm willing to try this.....if it means better milage.

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

What do yall think?

Acetone? Nail Polish remover? Um, ok...

So, who's gonna be the guinea pig?

ummm, not me =;

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. The mix ratio seems kinda implausible. But then again, we put an additive in water to make foam and we mix it at 0.5% and it could go lower if the manufacturers refine it further. It does the same thing, only for water. It reduces surface tension and allows it to soak into charred wood. So the ratio probably isn't as crazy as it sounds at first.
Resuc2000

2003KJ

Reaction score
I also thought about BG44K, but that shtuff is expensive as hell (like $20 a can), and the closest carrier to me is about an hour and a half.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acetone

I would be very cautious. Acetone is a lot more volitile than gas and can be corrosive (as he mentioned). If you try it, be careful handling it and make sure it doesn't get on your paint.

I'm a little suspicious of his Neon mileage drop after the acetone. 30MPG at 50 mph is below par for that car. I wonder if the acetone corroded something in the fuel system (injector parts?). or accelerated piston wear by countering any lubrosity properties in the fuel mix??? He didn't report the MPH BEFORE his test -- it should have been 40+ at a steady 50 MPH.

Am afraid of long term damage; think I'll pass.

2003KJ

Reaction score
well, if you put too much in, yeah it will cause your milage to drop. Seems like 1-2oz per 10 gallons of gas is the right ammount.

As far as cleaning the crap out of the injectors, out vehicles are only a couple years old, at best, so there shouldn't be alot of crap to clean out, but the burning better part might help our milage. I dunno, i'll let a friend of mine try it in his Jeep first....lol.

jpjeeper2000

Reaction score
Hmmmmm very interesting Thinking real hard about this might do some test my jeep is old soooo I dont know

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a lot of bogus junk on the internet claiming this type of stuff. I'd use caution. If it sounds too good to be true, more than likely it is. if you try it, id do it on an old car first. good luck.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not suggest trying it.

If these studies were that conclusive it would be published in a journal, not written poorly on a website. Read through the original article as if you are an advising professor on a thesis - would you trust the research of this student?

"There are no bad effects whatsoever and every good reason to use acetone in your fuel."

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd try it in my (EDIT: neighbors or dads lawn mower before that'd ever go near my jeep. lol

Bennett

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read the article, but doesn't acetone eat away at anything that's oil based? (IE gas??) All I can say is no effing way.

Troysterr

Reaction score
I'm trying it

Geez, aren't you the same people that bucked the "real Jeeps don't have IFS" trend and bought KJs? Why are you so skeptical now? [-(

I decided to try it out. I just added 2 oz. to my 18.5 gallon tank last night. So far:
  • Idle seems smoother
  • Acceleration seems smoother
  • Increased low-end horsepower (perceived)
  • EVIC has gone from 14.8 mpg to 16.7 mpg.
Before you ask:
Could the smoothness and horsepower be my imagination? Sure.
Could the increase in fuel economy be because I'm hoping to see an improvement, so I'm driving more conservatively? I really don't think so (I haven't seen the EVIC show anything above 15.1 mpg since I lifted and installed my Revos), but I'm willing to concede the possibility.

In any case, if it only costs me $6 per 160 gallons to keep imagining better performance, and keep me driving conservatively enough to see a 2 mpg increase in fuel economy, I think I'll keep doing it.

(My results are EXTREMELY preliminary...if they don't continue past a few tankfuls, or if anyone can come up with a valid reason not to use acetone, I'll stop. But for now I'm very, very impressed.)

If anyone has any sincere interest (or morbid curiosity), I'm posting my results on the LOST website: http://p087.ezboard.com/fkjjeepfrm1.showMessage?topicID=3741.topic

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
styng88 said:
I didn't read the article, but doesn't acetone eat away at anything that's oil based? (IE gas??) All I can say is no effing way.

I would imagine that it would also violate the warranty. I don't know how detectable it would be, but if a dealer found high levels of that in your fuel and saw a damaged engine...I don't imagine DC would be too helpful for you [-X

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: I'm trying it

Troysterr said:
Geez, aren't you the same people that bucked the "real Jeeps don't have IFS" trend and bought KJs? Why are you so skeptical now? [-(

I have to take exception to this comment. It's comparing apples and oranges. If this solution was researched and endorsed by a company half the size of DC, I might be more interested. It seems like its a paper written by a student. I think being skeptical is a normal, natural reaction.

Interesting results tho, I'll keep watching on LOST.

-Blu