Best Way to Check 4 Wheel Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to check the operation of the 4 wheel drive prior to changing all the fluids. What's the best way?

I have the front jacked up, I could just jack the rear and see what spins regular and then in 4 wheel drive.

I can imagine there are those that can hear the solenoid engage in the transfer box. I may be able to hear that, my hearing is not too bad.

But with no 4 wheel drive experience, I do not suppose I can tell if it's working just by driving the car. I know I could find a mud hole, or some snow and mud or snow and ice, but then run the risk of getting stuck or sliding down a hill side. This isn't flat country here.

What is the best way.

Thanks
dc

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have always believed the best way to get to know your Jeep KK is to familiarize yourself with the owners manual & then safely drive it, to test the 4WD capabilities.
Trying to engage a 4WD off the ground, is probably not be the best idea, especially with a command trac.
Do you have the command trac or selec-trac transfer case? Command trac remains for slippery surfaces only & selec-trac is a full or all time 4WD.
When you engage 4WD you can generally tell that the front wheels are also now turning. (You can feel it pulling/extra traction)
Refer to owners manual page 465 for fluid specs, and always remove the fill plug first before attempting to drain.
08 owners manual Here: http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2008/2008_JEEP_LIBERTY.pdf

Did you know that your Jeep may feel offended by calling it a "Car" ?

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I posted car, but I figured the Jeep didn't read this forum.

I have the owners manual, in a army style cloth bag. I have read it.

However, I don't know if it is the original book from this Jeep, or just a 2008 manual someone put in there along the way at some time.

It reads about Command Trac (if so equipped). So I don't know if it's Command Trac, or Trac Lok, or is there not one other?

I suppose it's not Trac Lok as I don't have a green tag on the rear axle that supposedly identifies the Trac Lok.

The book reads about 2 wheel drive, 4 high and 4 low. I have such a switch on the center console. But. And a big but is, that on the center console it reads 2 wd, 4 wheel LOCK and 4 wheel Low.

So the Jeep reads LOCK while the book reads High. So what that means, I don't know.

Reading further in the book, it says when more traction is required, select 4 wheel LOCK or 4 wheel Low, and it will lock the front and rear wheels and cause them to rotate at the same speed.

So that indicates to me that it is not an ON DEMAND system, but a "true?" 4 wheel drive that gives 4 wheel drive all the time. And not a slip system that only provides 4 wheel drive when one wheel slips. Like the Volvo All Wheel All the Time system.

So even a little running on jacks would not be good?

Thanks

PS I have apologized to the Jeep.
dc

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading Haynes and Chilton's they say for 4 wheel drive, there are 5 transfer cases. One mentions 7, but two of which may be limited to the Nitro model.

So, now I'm more confused.

I have the recommended Amsoil for the front and rear diffs, and Mopar atf for the transfer case. And a Lube Locker gasket for the rear diff and at.
dc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Reading Haynes and Chilton's they say for 4 wheel drive, there are 5 transfer cases. One mentions 7, but two of which may be limited to the Nitro model.

So, now I'm more confused.

I have the recommended Amsoil for the front and rear diffs, and Mopar atf for the transfer case. And a Lube Locker gasket for the rear diff and at.
dc

No only two transfer cases in the Libertys
they are saying there are several in the whole Jeep lineup , not Libertys
and while Amsoil is a good product, plain old Dino is way better for the diffs, it simply stays on the gears better and works much better in the long run
I never did trust Haynes or Chiltons, so much left out, some just made up it seems

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With Command Trac you only use it (4WD ) when on slipperly surfaces , such as snow, sand etc
Select Drive you become a city driver and can run it in 4x4 all the time ( I hate my 05 due to it having the Select Drive )
My 03 and 04 both have Command Trac , you just use it when you need it , but really good tires take you most anywhere you have to go.
7 inches of wet snow this morning and never had to lock it in on the 03
Trac Loc is when you have a cheap , (very cheap) factory locker in the rear diff

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom

I have found in the glove box book bag a card that said register with Jeep.com. It looks like that doesn't exist anymore and I ended up registering with Mopar.com. But it wouldn't let me enter vehicle info so I had to chat and they entered it.

I then went to the equipment list on this Jeep by vin. It says Command Trac II part time 4 wheel drive.

So according to Haynes and Chilton's I should have the NV 241 transfer case. Gen II part time.

How do I test the system? On 4 jack stands?

As to the dino v Amsoil, I saw a video out there showing the Amsoil sticking better. It's synthetic, which I think is recommended by the glove box book, isn't it?

Thanks
dc

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will hear the click of the transfer case actuator when you move the switch to 4wd LOCK. This is “4-high” and you can do this at any time, in any gear (but be below 45 mph and don’t be on dry pavement). To go into 4 low, be at a stop, shift into neutral on the transmission, then flip the transfer case switch to 4 low. If the 4wd light on the dash is lit, the 4wd is engaged. If it’s flashing, it’s not engaged (like if you try to choose 4 low without being in neutral). Be in neutral to come out of 4 low as well.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can hear a very subtle click down mid center when I put it in 4 wheel lock. And the dash light comes on for both 4 wheel and 4 wheel low. So just change all fluids and take it from there.

I got so many things to do on this Jeep. I need to make a list and then go in order.

I want to test lights and trailer lights so I can go and get my trailer (buy).

But they just started a "winter storm warning" of 10 to 20 inches. They always promise but never deliver, just like "global warming".

And we have maybe 1/8" so far and it's not noon yet.

So I have to find something to do in the house, maybe just study all these issues.

Thanks
dc

Latest posts

Members online