Belt tensioner bolt stripped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Gates bolt and the Mopar bolt were slightly different I think.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Generally, one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/corded-4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

with a cutoff wheel.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-5-4-1-2-half-inch-metal-cutting-discs-66394.html

Radiator shouldn't need to come out *YMMV*, but put some cardboard in to protect it from flying debris if not removed. Cut the head of the bolt off, then use some vise grips to remove the stud. You may need a propane hand torch to help loosen it.

Highly recommend a pair of safety glasses too!

evan butler

Reaction score
Generally, one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/corded-4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

with a cutoff wheel.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-5-4-1-2-half-inch-metal-cutting-discs-66394.html

Radiator shouldn't need to come out *YMMV*, but put some cardboard in to protect it from flying debris if not removed. Cut the head of the bolt off, then use some vise grips to remove the stud. You may need a propane hand torch to help loosen it.

Highly recommend a pair of safety glasses too!
Thank you very much man I really appreciate it I’m also working on a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7l v8 any other tips i should know would be greatly appreciated

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On those angle grinders, for a few dollars more, they now have rather good battery powered ones. I think Home Depot sells a whole package of battery powered tools, I think they all use the same battery, just plug it into any of the tools.

Can be convenient to not have to drag an electrical cord out there.
dc

sleazy rider

Reaction score
On those angle grinders, for a few dollars more, they now have rather good battery powered ones. I think Home Depot sells a whole package of battery powered tools, I think they all use the same battery, just plug it into any of the tools.

dc

Drop a couple hundred bucks for a one time job?

sleazy rider

Reaction score

dc
You don't know the difference between a couple hundred bucks and $39.99?

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-h...-zUW3yeHyi2Fc1_vfNIl8VmPUNH0ZZ5hoCqFMQAvD_BwE

You specified Home Depot battery powered packages. As I used to manage at Depot long time ago, I know what their kits sell for.

Harbor Freight are decent once in a while job tools.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You specified Home Depot battery powered packages. As I used to manage at Depot long time ago, I know what their kits sell for.

Harbor Freight are decent once in a while job tools.

I specified "for a few dollars more, they now have rather good battery powered ones." I then added about the Home Depot packages. A "few dollars more" is not "a couple hundred bucks".

No matter what he buys, he can use any tool for more than one job. And that would be the case even if you used to OWN Home Depot.
dc

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Gates bolt and the Mopar bolt were slightly different I think.
Yes they were HJ. The OE Mopar had a tapered end on the center bolt. The Gates bolt was continuously threaded.
The Mopar center tensioner bolt Part# is 06504930AA Hex = M10x1.5x70
Do yourself a favor & use a sniff of anti-seize on the center bolt before installation !
The Mopar tensioner is way better quality with stronger construction & acceptable for most folks.
Of course I'm picky..
You must be registered for see images attach

& find a longer bolt & nut, w/ blue locktite.

The plastic pulleys were not my style either..
So don't flip out like I did, & upgrade to true running steel pulleys, with real Timkin bearings & a Continental EPDM longer belt..