Before your KJ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab

Reaction score
Probably been asked in a thread before but I missed it.
I come from a couple Jeeps already. Love to find an ol' Jeep Cherokee Chief to restore one day but for now the Lib will do just fine.
BUT before the Lib:

I had a 2003 Jeep Wrangler lifted with Jeep Canyons, Goodyear MTR's, a 4.0L in Gold Pearl and Black Top and interior, before that a 1999 Jeep Wrangler lifted with Jeep Grizzlys, Goodyear MTR's, a 2.4L in Chili Pepper Red and Spice top and interior.

Why did I get a Liberty...After I saw one lifted I was on the hunt, I saw a couple with Moabs and really liked the way it looked. Don't see any lifted around where I live - so I get a few head turns on the road :D

So what did you have before and why a Liberty?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
04 Nissan Maxima, company car.
Feb of 07- Only the sales reps got to keep company cars, so I had a month to find something. Wanted an SUV, 4x4, and had a 99 WJ, loved that so a Jeep it was. Wanted a WK Laredo, with leather, sunroof, 4wd. Found one like that, but 2wd. Went to Carmax, and looked at a WK Limited 4x4, was white. Hated the color, and didn't like the condition, behind it was the KJ. Took it for a ride, has the new car smell, drove great, and then went home to look for other KJ's for the heck of it. Didn't find any. So went back, and bought it. :cool:

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Chevy Impala LS. I regret it now because the Jeep is worth half what I owe for the Loan.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 89 wrangler, and it was getting tired, and I needed to upgrade a little, and the reason for the liberty was I still wanted a jeep, but the mrs, asked that I get something that could hold the whole family, her, & the 3 kids, and I like the liberty since they came out in 02, and now I'm the only one in my area to my knowledge that has a lifted liberty, I actually got alot of comments today at work about it as well.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1989 Plymouth Acclaim with no first gear. Why? Because that's what you drive when you're ballin'. I'm pretty sure I killed the turbo in it too with the wrong gas :)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two different 280zs. The cool ones before they went to the ZX models with tasteful blonde highlights.

Then an '88 Toyota Corolla-- the most abused and improperly cared for vehicle I ever owned, and the most reliable.

Then when married "we" owned a 99 Buick (Regal?) which was the newest and least reliable vehicle my keester ever had the displeasure of sitting in, and a Nissan Maxima which was a decent car and got to something like 140,000 miles and everything electrical started to fail on it. However, I suspect that the previous owner being the "I have to have the Viper Alarm on everything I own" kind of person effed up the electrical system so I'm not sure if I can blame Nissan.

Plus it suffered from some neglect issues which caused secondary problems.

Initially looked at the XTerra but found too many shortcomings in the then-model (2004) and thought the KJ was an all-around better offroader.

jimymc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always loved off-roaders and have had several as well as regular road cars. Years ago I had a '49 Plymouth straight 6 dune buggy. I removed the fenders and had the wheels split and a ring welded in to make fat tires for the sand. With only two wheel drive it worked quite well. Later had a Jeep Wagoneer straight 6 with overhead cam. It only had a two-wheel four-wheel drive transfer case, but man it could pull. Spent quite a while pulling stuck vehicles out of the sand on the beach with a two-inch nylon rope for a jerk strap. Next was an Isuzu Trooper with a V-6 and 4WD. The engine didn't have much power and to get over 45mph when towing my boat I had to slip stream semi's. Then I moved up to a '96 Chevy Tahoe with a 350 V8. I put oversize tires on it and the darn thing would pull a semi out of the ditch in low range. It would only go about 20mph in low range flat out. Tough old truck. I would still have it but it was a gas hog and too heavy to tow behind our motorhome. It weighed somewhere around 5,300 lbs. We saw the '03 Libby Renny in Waycross, Ga at a used dealership and fell in love. It was just what we were looking for. We love to go to the outback in our travels and the Renny was already lifted and had the tow bar for our motorhome.

We are in Montana now headed for Alaska. We have already stopped in South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana and gone wheelin' in some of the National Parks, Forests and State Parks. Man do I love our Libby. Comfy ride and road manners on the road with the guts we need offroad. It's not a rock-crawlin' buggy or a swamp splashing machine, but it will do what we want of it and does it well with comfort for us older folks.

Last edited:

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before my '05 Liberty Renegade I drove a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4 X 4 with an 8' bed....
Before that was a '97 Ford F-150 4 X 4 extended cab with a 6.5' bed....
Before that was a 1985 Toyota 4 X 4...(22R engine, SFA with manual lockers, 4 speed manual ******)...(totaled in a rear end collision in 1997)
Before that a 1971 Chevy C-10 2 X 4, 250 cid inline 6, 3 speed ******, short stepside bed.

also rode a 1999 Harley 883 Sportster for a few years, and before that a 1971 Honda 650.....

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You had a 71 C 10? I had a 69, V8 though...

I could of had a 1970 full size C-20 with a V-8, but it was rode hard and put away wet, the '71 was in real good condition with only 35,000 miles on it.
It had the 3 on the tree shifter that immediately went to the floor with a Hurst shifter kit, I also put Clifford Research inline 6 headers on it and ran them into chrome side pipes, replaced the Rochester single barrel with a Holley two barrel.....

It looked and sounded strong, but only my closest friends really knew what was under the hood......:D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I could of had a 1970 full size C-20 with a V-8, but it was rode hard and put away wet, the '71 was in real good condition with only 35,000 miles on it.
It had the 3 on the tree shifter that immediately went to the floor with a Hurst shifter kit, I also put Clifford Research inline 6 headers on it and ran them into chrome side pipes, replaced the Rochester single barrel with a Holley two barrel.....

It looked and sounded strong, but only my closest friends really knew what was under the hood......:D

Mine was hammered, old construction truck. Gas pedal used to stick... :eek:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey I'm building a 70 C10 shortbed right now!
Just took the 3 on the tree out for a 700R4
Best current pic:
You must be registered for see images attach

As for my previous rides, at 16 I was given this:

My dad sold it two weeks after giving it to me because he just bought it to fix and sell. From this point on I knew I was a Jeep guy!
myself a 93 Caddy Sedan Deville, lasted two months before I wanted something more mod-able
So I got a 2000 Grand Am:

Lasted about a year, added rims true intake and true cat-back system and audio. It was a real nice reliable car, just not quick...
Got this to replace it:

Fixed it and made it into this:

Also added flares then sold it. It was great to have the doors off and topless. It was 2.5 3 speed auto with a/c needed a 4 speed with overdrive...
Then bought this:

2000 Cherokee Classic, was my favorite car and still can't believe I ever got rid of it...
Turned it into this:

Also bought this too:

That thing was fastttt but had ****** issues so it went away
At 18 came the 06 KJ paid in full!!!

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 Ford Taurus GL. I miss the car from time to time b/c it was a beater car that would never quit on mine no matter what I did to it. but I love my KJ :)

2002 Chevy Impala LS. I regret it now because the Jeep is worth half what I owe for the Loan.

Really? Mine's worth almost double of what I got left on my loan currently.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 ZR-2 with 9 years of goodys and tricked out motor and drive train work stop to look at a Liberty in an internet missprint add with picture of one and vin number of a nother to cheap to be true and as my ZR-2 was sitting at the dealer someone offered me a lot of cash for it so one hour later I drove away with a Liberty with 22000 miles and a warrenty for $10,000 Ment to be I guess

subflea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year did you drive.. pre 05 were a much more comfortable vehicle than the newere ones with the "improved" suspension and newer firmer interior.

Have had them as rentals 3 times, all were post 2005 and were used for pretty long trips. It wasn't really the ride that made it so uncomfortable, but the interior. It also felt much smaller inside than it looked like it would be from the outside. That is the exact opposite of the KJ which feels much bigger inside than it looks from the outside.

BLACKATTACK!07

Reaction score
We had a 01 Explorer Sport..leather/back seat climate control...one of the best cars we've owned thus far!!! We traded it in for the Libby..and yes very happy with the Libby !!!