Beach Running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecivvie

Reaction score
I have a beach close to me, where I can get my KJ onto. I have taken my KJ down dirt tracks but never onto sand. Most of the time, the sand will be damp. Should I adjust my tyre pressure down to 18psi or what?

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the sand is damp, you should be fine with normal pressure. If you get stuck then drop the pressure till you get back on firm ground. The tyres will heat up alot more whilst running with low pressure so you should inflate then again as soon as practical.

thecivvie

Reaction score
Excellent, I have one rock to cross but it is quite low and no major problem so will have some fun this week and take some pics as well

Silver Streak

Reaction score
I actually drive my KJ on the beach here in Florida quite often, and have never had any sort of traction problem at the beach. I drive most often on soft loose sand and avoid the hard wet sand so that i don't get the salt water on the body. When i do have to drive on the wet hard sand the traction is even better than the soft stuff. We don't have rocks here of any sort, but Florida is a lot of sand, even out in the forested areas. The KJ has no problems on any sand i have ever put it on.

Silver Streak
`05 CRD Sport

thecivvie

Reaction score
The beach I plan on going is not that large that there is always dry sand. But I will be jet washing the KJ afterwards anyway

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to watch for is the tide. Don't get stuck below the high tide mark. The vehicle can end up being crushed not just flooded.
The best thing to do, if you have any doubts is to get out and walk on the sand to see how soft it is before driving on it.

thecivvie

Reaction score
Never thought of that, will do that before I drive out. I usually go surf kayking on the beach and the sand is firm enough as far as I recall

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any other pointers for sand driving?
Please share.

Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any other pointers for sand driving?
Please share.

Thanks.
Lower your tires air pressure(18psi will work) to increase the size of the tires footprint for better flotation.Keep your momentum up,try not to stop in the softer parts.Use 4wd,4 hi is best.If your tires start to spin(as being stuck),stop!!!! and get out something solid to put under your tires,the more you spin the deaper you'll get and the harder to get out.

ffemtreed

Reaction score
I drive on the sand almost every weekend.

Just use common sense and you will be fine.

Air down (even if you don't think you need to) I usually go down to at least 15 and sometimes 10 if I notice the sand is soft.

Don't make ANY sudden stops or starts. Avoid sharp turns and don't venture below the high tide mark.

If you do stop back up about 5 feet before going forward again.

Make sure you have a shovel with you and some sort of traction board.

PS -- there have been times I forgot to put my Jeep into 4X4 and I didn't even notice it. I wouldn't recommend running in 2 wheel drive but its just a testimate on how well the Libby does on sand.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, these are great info.

Members online

No members online now.