Battery Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
While browsing on LOST, I was reminded of something I meant to post a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone notice an excessive ammount of corrosion on their battery terminals and cables? I had to replace my battery finally about two weeks ago, and had to clean mainly the negative cable AGAIN for the 2nd time in a month, as it was caked with blue (?????) corrosion.

Any thoughts as to why it's blue? I've never seen this color before on batteries....I usually only see white.

Also, I can't get the nut loose from the bolt to finish tightening the terminal down. Would it be safe to use WD-40 on the nut to break it lose? I'm going to go ahead and replace the bolt and nut on that terminal once I finally do get it broke free, but I wanted to make sure that the WD 40 wouldn't cause a fire the minute I went to fire up the jeep the next time....lol. Strange I know, but with my luck it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Thanks yall \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I don't understand it either. From my experiences... if you leave the cables alone, no corrosion ever happens, But if you ever replace that battery, corrosion hell occurs! I've seen blue, white, yellow, brown even. My mom's vehicle is having a terrible case of corrosion right now.. irks me because I can't solve the problem. I've tried all the tricks, none of them work.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sprayed my terminals with that anti corrosion spray that they make for the terminals. Its a red liquid, and it then dries on the terminals, I have had no corrosion in the past year with my battery.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
I sprayed my terminals with that anti corrosion spray that they make for the terminals. Its a red liquid, and it then dries on the terminals, I have had no corrosion in the past year with my battery.

Or you can hit up the electrical aisle at lowes/HD and pick up some dielectric terminal grease. Works great for me.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cableguy said:
especko said:

Or you can hit up the electrical aisle at lowes/HD and pick up some dielectric terminal grease. Works great for me.

never thought about using that. But i would suppose that it would work also.

2003KJ

Reaction score
especko said:

What is this liquid you speak of?

I got some battery terminal cleaner that you spray on, let it work in for about 5 minutes, and then hose off, and repeat as necessary. Everything comes right off, but it seems that it's right back on there in a month anyways.

Another trick that worked on other vehicles i've owned, once you have cleaned everything, put a nice coat of Vaseline on them. This will help slow down the process, as it has on mine just a little bit.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any auto parts store should have it, even a dealer. I have also seen people use those felt washers that slide over the battery terminals and then the cable is attached on top of them.