Basslink II intalled....Pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so i FINALLY got around to getting my Basslink installed, took two days, and a lot of cuts and burns and scrapes etc. but here's the result!

You must be registered for see images attach

Just a little something so you know that this aint no sissy system (hehe, that rhymes)

Mounting of the Remote Boost box

The CDA-9856 that provides the signal

The Basslink in the "trunk"

The ground connection

And finally, the fuse box and under-hood wiring.

Let me know what you guys think. All comments are welcome.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good. Ill be getting the JL direct fit box here in the next few weeks.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! It looks like a real cargo space-saver.

Questions:

Where exactly is that spot for your ground connection? Did you drill and make that spot or is there some spot like that already existant?

The pic with the blue/silver wires running down the center...how come you did not run them under the carpet...or even down the sides?

I notice a blue power cable is under the hood, but the rear shows a red power cable...are they two different cables?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
I notice a blue power cable is under the hood, but the rear shows a red power cable...are they two different cables?

I believe those are his output cables from the HU.

I have zero knowledge about those basslinks, so I am wondering...
Why did you run those speaker wires, and why do you need 4 sets of them?

I'm totally confused.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't take this the wrong way or anything but that look slike a really sloppy install. I say that because im a firm believer in clean installs where you dont see any wires. I just installed a deep cycle dry cell battery under my passenger seat and you cant see any of the wiring. Other than that it seems like a nice setup. I would go back and hide the wires. You also run the risk of having them damaged by rear passengers.

I believe he made his ground behind the rear seat. the carpet close the the bottom is velcro-ed to the cargo area carpet. just un velcro it and then u have the frame exposed. drill a hole and sand down the area and you have a good ground.

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the ground is under the drivers side rear carpeting, just behind the seat, i just sanded everything down a little first to make sure i got a good connection.

As for the red wire, it's the RCA, or signal wire for my the door speakers to the 4-channel amplifier expansion that i purchased as well.

This also explains the four sets of speaker wire.

As for the sloppy install comment, well, i ran those wires exposed on purpose, because i like the way they look. I realize that they could possibly be damaged by rear seat passengers, but it's extremely rare that someone sits back there....besides, if it becomes an issue, i will just go back and run them under the carpet...not that difficult. Also, please not that you cannot see the RCAs, Power, ground or remote turn-on leads anywhere except where they originate and terminate. Trust me, i had the whole interior pretty much ripped out when i did this install, and it may actually have been easier and used less cable to hide the speaker cables, but i wanted to do something unique, just a little extra flare so that you know where the sound is coming from.

So bassically what happens is, the Basslink gets the signal from the red RCA which i ran down the passenger side rocker panels. After that, it splits the bass from the mids/highs, and sends the bass to the woofer and the mids/highs out through the four speaker wire to each door speaker (components in front, 2-ways in the rear) After the speaker wire goes to that center console, it actually runs under the carpet to the rocker panel trim and then through the factory door grommets. The power comes from a Stinger 4ga. kit that i up along the drivers side of the headliner to keep it as far away as possible from the speaker cables. If anyone wants some more pics, just let me know and i'll try to get some for you.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but i was away at a college orientation all weekend.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the headliner?! Thats damn creative.

I agree that your 4 exposed sets of wire are kind of cool to see at first glance, but I think that on 2nd and 3rd glances they just seem incredibly out of place.

I kind of agree with fasto, in that you should either have a clean install or a fully exposed display install. Trying to play both sides of the fence makes it look sloppy to most people. But either way you did a good job, so kudos still.

Can we get the stats of the basslink?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I have vote "no" on the exposed wire part, too...just my opinion.
But if that's your preference, there's nothing wrong with it.

As for the red wire, it's the RCA, or signal wire for my the door speakers to the 4-channel amplifier expansion that i purchased as well.

So it is the Basslink II with the added 4-channel amp; like a whole system in one package, right?

I've always been curious of this system...it's like 250W sub and 50W x 4, correct? I've always admired its space-saving feature; leaves space under the seat and cargo area. How do you like it so far?

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's 250W subwoofer and the amplifier is 50Wx4ch. It sounds MUCH cleaner and will play a lot louder due to the fact that there is no more bass in the midrange speakers. My only problem is that i just can't seem to get enough power to it at some points. If the volume goes up too high (normally too high for comfort anyway) the bass will give out and then the speakers will start to clip until i turn it back down enough for it to catch back up...All in all though, it's an AWESOME system and i would reccomend it to anyone looking to put a little more thump in their KJ...

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! You're not pushing factory speakers with the 50 x 4, right?

I'd imagine they'd only distort if you had speakers that required much higher than 50W RMS power range. I've got 40W going into 60W-recommended speakers and they pretty much do the job up to 90% of the volume.

Anyway, nice system...I think I'll recommend it to a few buddies who look for space-saving solutions.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to solve the problem of the sub cutting out it may be that its not getting enough power. try adding a deep cycle dry cell or a cap and it should help out. if not then the amplifier isnt powerful enough to power the sub for the load you're asking for. which shouldnt be the case cuz why would they make a powered sub that cant provide enough power to operate unless you're pushing it past its limits.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to solve the problem of the sub cutting out it may be that its not getting enough power. try adding a deep cycle dry cell or a cap and it should help out. if not then the amplifier isnt powerful enough to power the sub for the load you're asking for. which shouldnt be the case cuz why would they make a powered sub that cant provide enough power to operate unless you're pushing it past its limits.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fasto82 said:

I can guarantee you 300%, that you do NOT need a second battery for a 250W amp. You stock battery has plenty of power to handle that much juice, in fact the stock battery can handle significantly more power than that too.

The turning point for needing a 2nd battery is when you have at least or over 100A drawing just from accessory devices, (amp, aftermarket lighting, fridge, air compressor, tv, game consoles, computers, ect...).

Acceptions to this rule of thumb would be for those who just need to be able to park their vehicle and leave its lights on for a few days straight.

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so basically what you're saying is that i just need to get a better ground connection?

The speakers are Polk components in front and 2-ways rear...

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its very possible that it is either your ground or positive, check both. Otherwise you may want to look into the possibility that you have reached the limit of the system.

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the positive is a 4ga. wire all the way, power and ground, but it just uses a standard ring terminal to connect to the battery, a better battery terminal is next on my to-do list.