Ball Joints Greasable ? ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I was thinking ........I was at NAPA getting some grease and I spotted A package of 2 "injector needles" for injecting grease into non-greasable front end components. It fits on the end of a grease gun and you just stick it in the rubber boot. Of course it will make a hole the size of a small nail in the rubber boot. Well, I bought them as they were only about $6.00 but havn't used them yet. I never saw these before.

So is it holes in your boots or no grease??? What do you think???

2003KJ

Reaction score
well...depending on where you put the hole, and how much is gonna seep back out, i'd probably lean more towards hole in your boots. If you keep them greased up and check it often, in theory, wouldnt the joints last longer?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the setup of the Ball joint boots on Al's arms I would say a tiny hole is nothing as long as you grease it often.

Heres what I mean.

You must be registered for see images attach

Its obvious that a pin hole hardly compares.

I think they would be absolutely fine as long as you take the time to properly grease them in regular intervals. But who am I to say, this whole grease everywhere thing is totally new to me.

maureen58

Reaction score
Be careful, The needle nose grease fittings are for a different type of Grease zert. I think putting a hole in your boot is asking for more trouble than what its worth.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTH Miah? why are they like that? Thats not your hand either is it? :-k

I used one of those needles to put some grease in the tie-rod ends. I didnt poke a hole though. I have it popped off the spindle to change the lower balljoints and it didnt have a clip or anything so I put it right down in there and pumped it full.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:

I used one of those needles to put some grease in the tie-rod ends. I didnt poke a hole though. I have it popped off the spindle to change the lower balljoints and it didnt have a clip or anything so I put it right down in there and pumped it full.

Al says that is how they are meant to be; and that grease will take care of any potential mud invasion.

And yes thats my hand... is it not up to your standards for acceptable hands?

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was less than impressed with the boot, but other than that they are fantastic!

Especially, now that I don't have any more of that non-existant Frankenlift a arm/spring contact.

JeepnJer

Reaction score
So is it holes in your boots or no grease??? What do you think???[/quote]
\
I agree with others, go with the hole in the boot. Some grease is better than none (unknown if there's any grease left from factory). Might delay an eventual LBJ failure. Just pump up the boots after water crossings and check/repump as necessary at every oil change.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
jeepjeepster said:

Al says that is how they are meant to be; and that grease will take care of any potential mud invasion.

And yes thats my hand... is it not up to your standards for acceptable hands?

8-[

The hand has passed inspection. \:D/

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
The hand has passed inspection. \:D/

Here it comes again Jeepster!

BTW- Whats your name I'm tired of calling you jeepster.

Latest posts

Members online