Ball Joint Recall # 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
An Explanation

Bob_Sheaves, from the Allpar.com fourms had this to say. His Comments are in bold.

Bob_Sheaves

What exactly is causing these failures? The joints are wearing out as predicted, according to projected criteria.

This is just a passing observance, since you can no longer put grease in these and they are "permanently lubed for life" are they dry and wearing out? No, that is an incorrect assumption. The specifications were changed, the durability cycles were changed, as well as the loading factors, all downwards from standard JTE specs. This was to follow a directive to reduce cost of SUV parts, because, as so many people have noted here, SUV's ain't used offroad generally. The point is, the joints have a full lifetime as designed and predicted. The issue is not with the parts being poorly made, the issue is A WRONG SPEC IS USED.

So is this a design flaw? NO, the parts meet the spec.

What makes these ball joints so different than all the others out there? The wrong spec was used.

-------------------
RW (Bob) Sheaves

So if I read this right, DC wanted cheaper parts because most SUV's never go off road, and just so happened to pick one that would cause the wheel to fall the hell off when it failed. I don't know, maybe if I was building a vehicle I wouldn't pick a stress-critical point on the suspension to cheapen out on parts.

I don't care if it's never used off road or not, a fooking balljoint shouldn't be bad after 30k or less. WTF.

Somebody write to Dr. Z and ask him what the hell is wrong with his engineering department.

/rant

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... if we had Escapes or CRV's, this wouldn't be an issue... LOL. It's being a Jeep... And I do love my Jeeps! \:D/

rasputan

Reaction score
(Aeh) damn, i have had a TON of problems with the wear on my front tires (on the inside of both tires) and now there is a NASTY metal on metal noise coming from the front end...

friggin, no wonder.

is DC going to reimburse me for my damaged tires too?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rasputan said:
(Aeh) damn, i have had a TON of problems with the wear on my front tires (on the inside of both tires) and now there is a NASTY metal on metal noise coming from the front end...

friggin, no wonder.

is DC going to reimburse me for my damaged tires too?

Did you take it into the dealership to try and get service? If you did and they didn't fix the issue then possibly yes for the reimbursement. If you didn't then no. I have no doubts that they will just say "NO" for your tires and nasty metal noise. Its the Stealership!!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a very slight rubbing in the front tires, it seems to rub to something in on the joint, i am not sure where but it looks like the rubber stoppers that is mounted against the shocks, whatever they are.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the bj recall came out when I owned my Durango DC relapced the ball joints on all 4x4's and gave a lifetime warranty on 4x2's

Bob

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
An Explanation

Bob_Sheaves, from the Allpar.com fourms had this to say. His Comments are in bold.

Bob_Sheaves

So is this a design flaw? NO, the parts meet the spec.

What makes these ball joints so different than all the others out there? The wrong spec was used.

Or worse are they made by a supplier who is sending DCX shoddy parts? Again, there is NOTHING wrong with the parts-they perform exactly as predicted. The issue is with the specs.
OH, I see. They must have used a spec from a Dodge Neon instead of a Jeep Liberty. Yeah, that explains it all ](*,)

I found this over on the Federal Mogul site, it is from a PDF file which explains the reason for the LBJ failures.
You must be registered for see images

So in essence, the ball joint is fine, its just that they made the control arm too thick which means that the taper of the ball joint lower section ends inside the mounting hole, which leaves the small opening for water and debris to get in and start the corrosion. On the other hand, the Moog ball joints' taper extends beyond the top of the control arm, so there is no room for water or debris to enter (unless something happens to the rubber boot). So I guess the guys who designed the control arm weren't talking to the guys who spec'd which ball joint to use - kinda like that problem NASA had on the one Mars mission where one group was calculating distances in miles and another was using kilometers, the net result being that the orbiter crashed instead of going into orbit... #-o

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Problem is... that's Federal Mogul's ASSUMPTION of why the ball joints are failing.

In short, I don't believe them.
I would think they took the time to fit a DC-issue ball joint into a lower control arm to see what was going on, but who knows? Bottom line is they are failing, and DC is finally getting off their collective keesters and doing something that is hopefully more substantial and permanent than the 'heat shield' fix.

Dorpmuller

Reaction score
This is corporate %$%@#^ Amerika... you know they're still gonna cut corners wherever they can. I'm sticking with the Moogs!

Rich