bad news/good news

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savage

Reaction score
Well Guys I got some bad news. I was in town yesterday and traded my 02 kj in for 6000. I just about shed a tear as I pulled out of the dealers lot. have had a lot of good times in that jeep. But the good news is that I got a 05 tj rocky mountain edition and it is SWEET! will have pic's shortly

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! Hey you still stuck with the Jeep brand so its all good! Post some pic's when you get a chance.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new jeep. TJ's are good too. Pics?

Dave

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good deal
and IIRC that package had a Dana 44 with track lock
this is both a blessing and a curse
up side is the 44
down side is the trash lock ,only way to "improve" is full case locker
also probably came with 3.73's not the craptastic 3.05's

Savage

Reaction score
good deal
and IIRC that package had a Dana 44 with track lock
this is both a blessing and a curse
up side is the 44
down side is the trash lock ,only way to "improve" is full case locker
also probably came with 3.73's not the craptastic 3.05's

Thanks for the info I have started doing some research on the tj...but I have an awful lot to learn yet. It came with a four inch lift ( In a box not on the jeep) so as soon as i get back home im going to start posting some pics. Not sure what brand the lift is or if its any good. it is kinda all just thrown together by the looks of things.

Anybody that has pros and cons or any good info on the the tj would be greatly appreciated. thanks again guys

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I ever part with the KJ it will probably be replaced with a TJ. I'd like to follow your TJ quest on here if you are up for it. Take lots of pics especially of the lift. :smokin:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I have started doing some research on the tj...but I have an awful lot to learn yet. It came with a four inch lift ( In a box not on the jeep) so as soon as i get back home im going to start posting some pics. Not sure what brand the lift is or if its any good. it is kinda all just thrown together by the looks of things.

Anybody that has pros and cons or any good info on the the tj would be greatly appreciated. thanks again guys

It may be better if you pm me your questions
the list of "things" is very very long
as far as the lift you have ,IMO, 4" of lift is border line for short arm
also keep in mind that if it has the auto then it has the 42rle which has a rather tall 1st gear and if you go to 33's ,which a 4" lift will easily clear, you will need to go to 4.10's to be happy
I know because I have the TF999 ,3 speed auto, that has a 3 to 1 first and 33's are almost to tall for the 3.73's but 4.10 are to low for the 1 to 1 3rd gear on the highway
back to the 4" lift
you will also be dropping the t-case 1.5-2" due to drive line angles or installing a SYE and new rear DS so only gaining 2" of lift at the center of the Jeep ,4" of lift with the 2" T-case drop = 2" of lift
33's are 2" over all taller than 31's so only 1" off the ground to axle higher
basically a BB and 31's will be 1" lower at the axle

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd sell the lift it came with, and go with a high-line set up with tube fenders( a local guy here in wv makes em) a 1.25inch body lift and a flat belly skid from undercoverfab.com and run 34s or 35s with out the driveline and handling issues known with lifting short arm tjs

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd sell the lift it came with, and go with a high-line set up with tube fenders( a local guy here in wv makes em) a 1.25inch body lift and a flat belly skid from undercoverfab.com and run 34s or 35s with out the driveline and handling issues known with lifting short arm tjs

I am not going to argue that it is or is not a good product
however the cost is a little high and the need for a SYE is more than for drive line vibes but for the failure of the OE slip yoke
so a SYE is needed to run larger tires and wheel
at over $700 that skid comes across as a rip off
when you figure it cost $500 for the 1/4" skid
the body lift and MM lift at an extra $200
or go AEV Tummy Tuck for $500 and no body lift or MM lift
then add OME coils ,HD version, to net 2-3" of lift
extend the bump stops
add longer shocks
add SS brake lines
run 33's with a boat load of break over
then lift the fuel tank 1" with a kilby skid and you have your 4" lift or more at all points but the bumpers

Savage

Reaction score

I prob. will sell the lift that came with it, and I like the idea of the 1.25 body, but I dont think that I will ever run anything bigger than a 33 inch tire, and most likely I will run a 31. at the moment it has 30/9.5/15. so for 135$ (1.25 body lift) It would be just for looks because im only going to gain .5 with 31's and 1 inch of Clearance with 33's. all in all I think it would be money well spent.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the TJ is new to you and you are planning some mods, the first thing to do is get a "build sheet" on it and that way you will know everything that was on it when it left the factory. If you go to jeep.com under "owners services" you can e-mail jeep and ask for one and get it by return e-mail. Or you can get one at any jeep dealer. Either way all you need is your vin# and it is free. That's the first thing I would do anyway if I just got a new jeep.

Just a thought.

Dave

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
build sheets for TJ's are kind of a waste of time
the "special packages" all came with basically the same stuff
things like CC ,AM/FM CD (some came with the 5 speakers not just 4)
Dana 44 with track lock
the rest is looks and not worth much to me or function
The 1 key factor in a TJ is the Dana 44 all other things in them are equal
you can figure that out by looking at it
same for track lock ,2 metal tags on diff = track lock ,1=open
gears are on the tag it will end 3.73's

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
i am confused as how $239 is $700
http://www.undercoverfab.com/transf...eep-wrangler-tj-lj-carbon-high-clearance.html
and there is no need for a sye like a suspension lift. 90%of people around here that run sye do it for the driveline vibes.
here is a local jeepers lj thats in high lined, skid plate 1.25 bl and a budget boost with 34 inch with no rubbing
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/prch/002-54.jpg

The important thing to remember is that there is 100's of ways to get bigger tires on a jeep, you just have to decide what you want from your jeep and what is the best way for you to get there. If you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers.

Last edited:

Savage

Reaction score
felt bad for posting on the kj general. Put a pic on the wrangler page(will keep my questions there from now on) for those who are interested will take more when I get home from thanksgiving.
Thanks is given to all

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am confused as how $239 is $700
http://www.undercoverfab.com/transf...eep-wrangler-tj-lj-carbon-high-clearance.html
and there is no need for a sye like a suspension lift. 90%of people around here that run sye do it for the driveline vibes.
here is a local jeepers lj thats in high lined, skid plate 1.25 bl and a budget boost with 34 inch with no rubbing
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/prch/002-54.jpg

The important thing to remember is that there is 100's of ways to get bigger tires on a jeep, you just have to decide what you want from your jeep and what is the best way for you to get there. If you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers.

not comparing apples to apples
the AEV skid is 1/4 not 3/16
it does not require a body lift
it does not require "clearancing" of the body at the t-case on nonrubicon

Yes most people run an SYE for the drive line vibes
however the stock slip yoke on the 231 is the weak link and can/will fail
thus making the SYE a win win

you are correct ask 10 people get 10 answers
I speak from a been there done that angle
ask me about winches or the best bumper or brightest lights and I will answer "I dont know" as to me it is less important than things like proper suspension and eliminating weak links