Bad fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Went to start my 04 3.7L and noticed the check engine light was on. Popped the hood and noticed the electric cooling fan wasn't turning. Can't look into much at the moment cuz damn faulty hood lifts nearly fell and killed me.

These fans supposed to go bad after a given time? I suppose I will check the fuse when I get new lifts first. Probably a bad motor or relay? I guess I could check the motor by unplugging the fan connector and hooking some jumper cables to each terminal of the battery and the other sides to the 2 pins on the connector for the fan....

Let me know if I shuold check anything else or your thoughts

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electric fan only runs when the coolant temps reach 219 degrees(+/- 2-3 degrees) or if the AC is on.

Pull the codes,you could have one(or more then one) problem out of about 3000 current problems with a code attached to it.

Just remember a code is not what you fix it is just a starting point to point you in the general direction of the problem.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, didn't know that. Excuse my ignorance..Pulled the codes and OBD-II reported P0442 (EVAP Leak)...installed a new gas cap a couple weeks ago..check engine only started going on since yesterday....i'll reset the codes and install OEM cap, hopefully its nothing more...thanks

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother...Is there a way to reset the OBD-II codes without a scanner and without disconnecting the battery?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother...Is there a way to reset the OBD-II codes without a scanner and without disconnecting the battery?
For some codes they will "erase" themselfs after so many "no fault" drive cycles.With a EVAP code it could take months.

Cheap OBDII code pullers are that,cheap.Just pick one up,well woth the $30-$40.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My EVAP code disappeared after about a day of driving when a gas monkey didn't put my gas cap on correctly...

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My EVAP code disappeared after about a day of driving when a gas monkey didn't put my gas cap on correctly...

I thought I read that the system in Chrysler vehicles will store codes until 40 successful engine starts or something like that?

My Check Engine Light is still displayed on the panel. I called local Autozones and Advance Auto Parts and they said they will not clear the codes for me. The explanation was that it is against the law. I don't see what the big deal is. My inspection is valid and bought the gas cap from them (Autozone). Also, if there is still an issue with the vehicle, OBD-ii will report it during diagnostic test.

Is this the same situation for any one not in NY?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read that the system in Chrysler vehicles will store codes until 40 successful engine starts or something like that?

My Check Engine Light is still displayed on the panel. I called local Autozones and Advance Auto Parts and they said they will not clear the codes for me. The explanation was that it is against the law. I don't see what the big deal is. My inspection is valid and bought the gas cap from them (Autozone). Also, if there is still an issue with the vehicle, OBD-ii will report it during diagnostic test.

Is this the same situation for any one not in NY?
It is illegal to erase codes if nothing was fixed,for shops and stores that is.Now yourself can clear them but someone like myself I can not clear a code if no repair was done at work.

Latest posts

Members online