Bad creaking noise coming from rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i finally found time to track the creaking down and Elmer is right it was in the sway bar!

I replicated the noise by supporting the unibody (off the ground) and putting a jack under the drivers side rear lower shock mount. I then jacked the drivers side of the rear end up and down and got the creaking to appear. I tracked it by feel (while jacking up and down)to the sway bar and lower control arm.

I then loosened the rear sway bar bolts and jacked up and down. Guess what know more noise!!!! But before i loosened them, I used a torque wrench to measure the torque upon loosening. It measured 110-120 foot pounds! My manual calls for 73 foot pound. I retightened all 4 sway bar bolts to 60 foot pound and the noise is still gone. I have put 50 miles on it since and it is quiet.

My guess is somehow the tighter they are the more tension (stiffness) it puts on the sway bar?

It looks like when my rear lower lca's were replaced by the recall (at the dealer) the tech just buzzed them down without torqueing them properly. Victim of the flat rate tech?

I choose to try and leave the sway bar on since my wife an children use the vehicle as a daily. I will keep everybody posted, but i believe it is solved. And thanks goes to Elmer! mike

You must be registered for see images attach

I am going to call this finally fixed. Still quiet and i have had plenty of time to test it in different weather casts and terrains. Mike

wisco

Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts on this one. I have an 06 and had the LCA replaced per the recall about 6 weeks ago and a creaking from the rear end started up the last couple days. Sounds like this is the same problem.

Saved me a headache trying to locate it.

andrewkoller

Reaction score
Just removed rear sway bar from wife's 07 Liberty,noise went away.
Had just had recall done..
Think I'll find some used old style arms and put them on.

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to call this finally fixed. Still quiet and i have had plenty of time to test it in different weather casts and terrains. Mike

Mike,

Is your issue still resolved? I've taken the liberty to 2 dealers and the last one said the springs and bump stops were the issue.

Saturday I was rotating the tires as was able to replicate the noise. It was coming from where the sway bar attaches to the lca - but sounded like from inside the lca.

I loosened and retorqued to 73 ft lbs and it got better but is still there. I'm tempted to shoot the lca full of foam or something to deaden the sound at this point.

I feel like there is an issue with the replacement lcas that the dealer won't admit.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My noise is still gone (fixed). Try a lower torque. Some on here are removing the sway bar, but that was not an option for me.

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My noise is still gone (fixed). Try a lower torque. Some on here are removing the sway bar, but that was not an option for me.

This is my gf's Jeep so I want to make sure I don't cause any issues. Perhaps I can start at 65 ft/lbs an go to 60 as a bottom?

To confirm, the wheels are off the ground and removed when I do this as I cannot get my torque wrench in otherwise. Is that correct or should the load be on the lcas?

Are there any aftermarket options for lcas?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I see this post at the top next to my post regarding the exact same issue I feel bad for making a new post a few weeks ago, can I go back and delete it?.

I am having the same issue. I thought I got rid of it after I removed the sway bar but it came back after the weather got back down to being cold in the mornings again. Mine seems to be 100% temp related. if it's above 50 or wet out I get no noise at all. if it gets colder and isn't wet it's there.