Back Window and Hood Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vega

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought an 02 liberty last night and i gotta say i really like it. 2 problems though im having a problem with the rear window and the hood. I put them together as the problems are similar.

1st the hood wont stay open you open it drops right on your head, slowly, but itll drop on you. So i assume the arms/lift supports are shot. I know how to replace but whats my cheapest option?

2nd the rear window lift supports are also shot. Heres where it gets tricky, the drive side lift support is straight up broken, its not the arm itself but the ball attatched to the window has snapped off due to rust (yaaaaaay new england). Does anyone know a rememdy to repair this issue?

Thanks for any help you can gice and glad to be part of the community.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought an 02 liberty last night and i gotta say i really like it. 2 problems though im having a problem with the rear window and the hood. I put them together as the problems are similar.

1st the hood wont stay open you open it drops right on your head, slowly, but itll drop on you. So i assume the arms/lift supports are shot. I know how to replace but whats my cheapest option?

2nd the rear window lift supports are also shot. Heres where it gets tricky, the drive side lift support is straight up broken, its not the arm itself but the ball attatched to the window has snapped off due to rust (yaaaaaay new england). Does anyone know a rememdy to repair this issue?

Thanks for any help you can gice and glad to be part of the community.

Pretty simple , new struts for the hood, order anywhere or from NAPA, FLATOZONE and others, for the rear window, easiest is just grab a new back glass from a junker that has a good mounts.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to just get by with the back window...you can typically use 1 if it's strong enough.

In fact, the hood struts that I ordered with my glass struts had fit on the back window (ask me how I know...). You might be able to get away with using just one of those.

That being said...that would be a bandaid. Who knows when the other will snap and you will have no supports? Plus you would need to be very careful closing with only one strut attached.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As both Tom and Dude said. If you are going to attempt to run one lift support on the rear I would make sure to get a heavier duty one such as the Monroe MaxLift support.

Vega

Reaction score
Thanks guys! another thing i just noticed which was weird hut the seat handles to push them back and fourth are broken off (or removed) on each side i can tell. But how do i replace these? Do i have to get new seats?

Latest posts

Members online