back up lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get some extra lights to use when backing out of my drive way in the morning, I live at the bottom of a hill and a little extra light would be nice when it's raining out,

would not need them all the time just in the morning, so switch might be good, or I suppose even cigarette plug in light would work too,

also is it legal to have extra lights

and if so, any recommendations on product and location to mount,

thanks again

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Can never think of the fellows handle,he put 4in round lights in tailgate,very cool looking and should provide ample light.

Boiler

Reaction score
I believe that was meh_kick on lost.

I've got two 55 watt hellas on my roof rack pointed backwards. They are fogs and I point them out, each about 20 degrees from straight back. Since they are fogs they have a really wide bean and illuminate about 160 degrees behind the jeep. Be great for setting up a camp and they look cool too.

I tried asking the state police about the laws of roof lights, and got passed all over the place, desk to desk, until they stopped responding. I said oh well then and put em on there...

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a set of $10 fog lights from Harbor Freight. I only needed one for backing out of my s-curved driveway. Took all of 15 minutes to install and tie into the reverse light wiring. Excuse the poor lighting/picture. It was almost dark when I read your post and ran out to take a quick shot. I will get a better pic in the morning.

You must be registered for see images attach

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.etrailer.com/p-CR-607.html

i've seen things like this and have thought about getting them the backup lights on the liberty seem to be sorta terrible, and those looked like a cheap, somewhat clean looking solution. i've seen a couple different styles, thats just the first one i could find.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found these.

http://www.whitenight.com/products.htm

I was looking at them because they have a plug in adapter so you can just plug it in to your 7way and it will work with your back up lights. I have the tow package so I could just plug it in.

Dave

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only needed one for backing out of my s-curved driveway

My drive way has an s curve to it too, and up hill, at the top where it meets the road is where the curve is greatest, and there is a 3 foot deep ditch on either side, haven't fallen off into it yet, but I know my wife has gotten close

and thanks for the links, and advice, still thinking about what will be the best option, I do have a tow hitch and wiring, so that option would be easy to set up,

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found these.

http://www.whitenight.com/products.htm

I was looking at them because they have a plug in adapter so you can just plug it in to your 7way and it will work with your back up lights. I have the tow package so I could just plug it in.

Dave

Hey Dave, do you know if the standard wiring for our 7-pin connectors includes a connection for reverse lights?

In looking at various wiring diagrams for 7-pin connectors, they either don't show reverse lights, or show pin 7 (center pin) as an auxillary/backup circuit.

i.e. http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-travel-trailer-plug-wiring.html

Is it hooked up to the reverse lights by default?

The other Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave, do you know if the standard wiring for our 7-pin connectors includes a connection for reverse lights?

In looking at various wiring diagrams for 7-pin connectors, they either don't show reverse lights, or show pin 7 (center pin) as an auxillary/backup circuit.

i.e. http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-travel-trailer-plug-wiring.html

Is it hooked up to the reverse lights by default?

The other Dave

So looking at that diagram it must be the center pin. Not sure if is hooked up by default? Seems like you could say that though.

The other Dave

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those Whitenight bits look pretty coolbut I'm not keen on the hitch reciever mounting location. I do some towing and backing into a garage at night with the boat by myself is sporting at best. Some lights mounted up high might just be the ticket!!

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So looking at that diagram it must be the center pin. Not sure if is hooked up by default? Seems like you could say that though.

The other Dave

Perhaps I'll get out my multimeter and see what that center pin is doing!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I spent a couple of hour on a buddy's truck rewiring his trailer plug. The previous owner of the truck had it all backwards screwy.gif, I'm surprised he didn't cause a fire.

After studying the drawings it gave me the idea of mounting a pair of slim driving lamps under the bumper. And it would be super simple to wire them up to the trailer hitch wiring.

If it ever stops raining today maybe I can get to work on this idea.

sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted a light on my spare tire using a bracket made by RRO. I planned on using it for night fishing but it also helps with backing out of dark places.
You must be registered for see images

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score

just cheap walmarts that light up perfectly!

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just an update

I put these on a few months ago, (just passed inspection at the dealership)

I ran 10ga wire for all powerr and ground lines, I used a 15amp-10ga-inline fuse 12" from the battery on the power line, ran it to a 30amp relay,
I ran a trigger wire from the reverse wire (I also used 10ga wire and a 10ga-2.5amp inline fuse, probably not needed)
I was going to run it off a switch but after some reading, wasn't sure it would pass inspection,
and I know 10ga wire was probably over kill, but better safe
I ran the wire in through the firewall from
(this is what I had bookmark, but I think there is a post on this site)
http://www.jeepprojects.com/content.php?article.50

then ran it tucked under the trim and down the orange plug for the factory tow hitch wiring

thanks for all help
I got the inline fuse holders/wires from http://www.clrmarine.com/

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nooby, you seem to have hitch, is that stock or aftermarket? If it is was stock, didn't it have the wiring right there to tap into?
Ryan, they look nice, for $10 a pair it is reasonable.They even have super bright turn signals, but I think the life of these won't be as good as regular bulbs. What do you think? Did you only have backups or did you have tail/brake lamps too?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Nooby, you seem to have hitch, is that stock or aftermarket? If it is was stock, didn't it have the wiring right there to tap into?
Ryan, they look nice, for $10 a pair it is reasonable.They even have super bright turn signals, but I think the life of these won't be as good as regular bulbs. What do you think? Did you only have backups or did you have tail/brake lamps too?

I only had the backup bulbs.
I was always worried that there would be too much amperage going through the factory wiring, but considering that you only back up short distances/time, I figured the wiring wouldn't get cooked/fried!

The new bulbs I saw at the Seattle int. car show from a company in Bellingham, Washington (http://www.v-leds.com/V-LEDS-6K-HID-WHITE-28-p8701564.html) and they have these killer bright LED bulbs that consume very little power (Not in-expensive mind you! Actually wretchedly exspensive) but will more than likely out last a vehicle!

This set up is still rather pricey http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/License-Plate-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HIGH-POWER-18W-p7516915.html but a very sweet setup! and blindingly bright! That license plate frame also go on sale for $40.00 from time to time and that I think is a pretty reasonable price.
It would also make an awesome A$$hole light for when people tailgate you with high beams on! :D (Very common here in our city!)

I think the stop/turn/tail light bulbs would be a good choice, however, they only make an old style 1157 bayonet mount bulb and not a 3057/3157 push in bulb that our Rigs need.
But I have already emailed Design Tech International Inc. to see if they do in fact make them.
Also researching other companies to see if they exist!

I'll keep you posted hyed.

Cheers
Ry'