Back to KJ Country From WI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jupes

Reaction score
I previously owned a red 2003 Liberty Ltd that I lost in a divorce 10 years ago. I missed it, so I recently found a khaki 2003 Liberty Ltd. with 128,000 miles in pretty good shape just the other day. For positives;
- The transmission had just been flushed and it has a new pan
- The valve cover gaskets have been replaced
- No rust except for small spot on corner of driver's door
- Even the underside is clean, and the oil pan looks great
- Fairly new tires

There are not many negatives;
- Cracked grille (Will replace with cheap chrome grille from Rock Auto)
- Power steering is noisy (but not leaking) / will try new ATF-4 fluid first
- Missing rear passenger headrest and tan cargo cover (minor annoyances)

Work completed so far;
- Replaced rusty, horrible lug nuts with stainless acorn lugs (huge difference)
- Oil change (Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30, Wix oil/air filters)

Future work;
- Will be changing spark plugs this coming weekend (NGK copper core)
- Ordered Amsoil synthetic fluids for front/rear diffs
- Ordered ATF-4 for transfer case/power steering pump
- I'll also pick up some sensor cleaner and clean the throttle body
- Ordering 2 gals of Mopar HOAT coolant and flushing system
- Restore the wheels

The primary purpose for this Jeep is winter commuting. I drive 22 miles each way. To some folks that may not sound like much, but to me, it's plenty. On top of that, I do not have the excuse of saying there was too much snow, or it was too cold to get to work. Whether there's 2 feet on the ground or if it's 20 below, I HAVE to be there. I work for the WI Guard. These guys don't take to excuses. So I'm prepping the vehicle now so it is ready by November at the latest. I will also be picking up some POR-15, since this vehicle is not very rusty underneath, and giving it a good protective coating. For those who have used POR, you know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, I'm not going to do a commercial, look into it - you won't be disappointed.

I've owned and driven almost as many cars as I've had birthdays, from the ridiculous to the fairly cool, but every one of them fun in their own right. From Gremlins (yeah, I'll admit it, it was an adventure!) to several Beetles, to MGs, to BMWs, Audis, huge Buicks, Fords, Toyotas, and an old 1953 International Harvester pickup that I'm currently restoring. I'm just an old shade tree mechanic that has made my share of mistakes. With age comes experience and the knowledge to know your limitations.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back and nice looking Jeep.

Dave

Jupes

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Among the first things I do when I pick up a new vehicle are pick up a service manual and join an owners forum. Both excellent resources.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A google search can get you a service manual free online

Jupes

Reaction score
A google search can get you a service manual free online

Rgr that - already done. Have it on my phone in fact. Absolutely amazing when I think about it, considering when I was little I walked a few miles to the library any time I wanted to learn something new or check a reference...