Automatic Gearbox not changing down to first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bundu Boy

Reaction score
Hey all

Perhaps someone here can shed some light on a issue that I am having.

I am finding occassionally that my KJ does not change down to 1st gear when I come to a standstill. The result of which is that I pull off in 2nd gear.

To overcome this I put the gear into N and then D and she is good to go.

This tends to happen mostly when we have hot days here in South Africa. I recently had the gearbox fluid changed with the correct ATF+4.

Any ideas? I was speaking top someone about it and they mentioned something wrong with the solenoids.....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any ideas at all.....

I'm going to have the ECU reset tomorrow and a short while later the fluids and filter changed....

My first thought would have been the the ****** fluid (ATF+4) and filter also. Don't know what else to suggest.

Dave

Bundu Boy

Reaction score
Thanks Dave

I took the KJ in to a local garage and they plugged in their computer and pulled out the following codes.

P1775 Solenoid switch valve latched in the TCC position
P0218 High temperature operation activated

Don't want to sound ignorant but can someone please explain what the solenoid switch is and if it is stuffed is it a big job to have it fixed

Thanks

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solenoid is preventing your torque converter clutch from disengaging - which will cause all kinds of issues with sluggishness, poor shifts, etc. As far as replacing it...I'd leave that to a shop if you're not comfortable poking around a gearbox.

The other code indicates an overheating situation - which is the greatest threat to any transmission/gearbox. The cause of the overheating needs to be determined and a complete fluid flush - NOT just a pan drop and filter change - should be done to get rid of burnt fluid and replace with new ATF+4 ONLY!!

Keep us posted with your mechanic's findings.

Bob

Bundu Boy

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, next on my list is to replace the gearbox filter and oil.

I have been advised against doing a gearbox flush for the following reasons, this is a from a member on a local forum here in South Africa that has experience with KJ's.

"Some of the flushing agent stays behind and mix with the oil, causing damage to the valve body and torque converter. Also the flushing agent breaks up the varnish glazing the burnt oil caused, the particules blocks the veins in the valvebody causing erratic, harsh and no shifting."

Just need to get my ducks in a row on that one.....

For sure I will be using ATF+4 only. I'm hoping that this will help, otherwise I have to start looking at gettignm the solenoid replaced etc..... and these jobs dont come cheap...