Automatic Door locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise isn't really a beep, its kind of a chirp from the actuator in the rear tailgate, i hear mine some mornings when its cold and other times i don't. Its just the actuator making noise when the coil energizes.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '03 didn't have the auto-lock feature enabled and I cannot
enable/disable it with the EVIC, b/c the option in the menu doesn't exists.

I had to take it to the dealer, who enabled this function with their DRBIII
scan tool.

And about the beep/chirp... I haven't heard it yet...

Cheers! :)

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'll go out on a limb here, a longer limb...

I used to have an 03 with the factory tow harness, you know the one with the relays that goes above the rear right wheel well. It did this mystery beep too. before I sold the 03 (long story don't ask) I removed the tow harness knowing I would be putting it in my 04. I had been driving the 04 for about a month already without it. So I installed the tow harness and what do you know, that weird beep I heard every so often in the 03 was transplanted into the 04, so it seems. Hey I know it has nothing to do with the locks, but I thought I would put it out there for an interesting discussion.

On another note, I have another theory. My tailgate locks as soon as I start moving. Then when I reach 15 mph the doors lock. With the tailgate already being locked the motor on the lock can't spin because it is stuck right? Sometimes electric motors make sort of a beep noise if they are stalled out in my experience. I'm one of those that when I was a kid messed around with electric motors, rc cars and stuff like that. I remember specifically hearing a beep or rather a tone come from some motors when you stalled them out. So, really this makes more sense then it coming from the tow harness. It comes from the back too I know because I've heard it more than a few times. Usually I have the radio up, so it has done it more times than I know I'm sure. Anyway, that is my theory and I'm sticking to it... and maybe a little with the harness too, but that seems like a stretch. :cool:

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never hear a beep in my 06. my locks seem to lock at about 15 mph too but there are times it has not untill I was going rearly 30 or 35. it may have something to do with not being on the gas I can't remember.

mongongo

Reaction score
Its very noticable, It sounds more like something is in a bind. Kinda like and old creaky door that needs oil. Im just gonna remove the door panel and see.

I take it there is only one screw near the handle? and the rest is fastners?
Ill post what I find.