Auto head lights??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to have my headlights turn on and off automatically on my 05 Sport?

Thanks

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the factory never offered such an option. But you could build your own photo eye to do it.

Bennett

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how?? limited??

How could I build one, and I thought the limited offered it?

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: how?? limited??

squirrellydw said:
How could I build one, and I thought the limited offered it?

Not on my 05 Liberty Limited CRD. It is on the Grand Cherokee LTD however.

Building one? ... hmmm. A commercial photosensor and a hack to the multifunction switch.

I think turning the MF Switch to "headlights on" may drag an input to the BCM low, which in turn changes a number of other BCM outputs (e.g. headlamp, tail-lamp, licence lamp relays). It is a resistor multiplexed input to the BCM, so I would be concerned that simply dragging the particular BCM input to ground (through a photosensor) might create a sneak circuit (thus activating something else like window washer pump). Could be fun however.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh well

I guess I will just have to rember to turn them on an off.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Re: oh well

squirrellydw said:

Well actually if you forget them on, they will turn off by themselves.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bennett said:
squirrellydw said:

Really??? How long does it take and does it say this somewhere? If this is true I could just leave them on all the time right? Leave them on all the time, turn off the engine, they time out, turn the engine back on and then they come on. Am I missing something?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score

squirrellydw said:
Bennett said:
squirrellydw said:

Really??? How long does it take and does it say this somewhere? If this is true I could just leave them on all the time right? Leave them on all the time, turn off the engine, they time out, turn the engine back on and then they come on. Am I missing something?

Yeah it's in the manual. I think its like 5 minutes. But yea that's what they would do.

Bennett

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Re: change time??

squirrellydw said:
Ok, is there away to change how long they stay on?

You might be able to have the dealer changed the time value with their computer, but there's no way to change the value your self.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, it worked

It worked, now this won't kill the battery right? Now if I can get the time changed, off to the dealer tomorrow.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you turn the engine off with the lights still on, then turn them off, they will stay on for a configurable delay (30, 60, 90s, something like that, the evic sets them).

If you actually leave them on, it's the 5 or 7 minutes or whatever. I think you should probably just remember to turn them off :p I can't imagine it's good for the battery to have to run the headlights straight for 5 minutes every time you turn off the jeep. Plus you'll have people telling you that you left your lights on all the time (you'll get paged at the mall, they'll call you at work, etc).

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope

Went to the dealer and they said they can't change the time, but they were not to sure about it either. Anyone figure out how to do this please let me know.