Audio Upgrade Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I want to upgrade the sound in my 02 KJ Limited and was wondering what the general concensus is on:

1 ~ Replacing the stock RBP unit with an RB1 or other Mopar unit and keeping the premium (?) speakers.

2 ~ Replacing the stock RBP unit with an aftermarket unit and keeping the premium (?) speakers.

3 ~ Keeping the RBP and replacing the premium (?) speakers.

This is going to sound really **** but I cringe at the thought of a square unit (aftermaket) in the oval hole. I know Crutchfield has the adapter plate but still...

I also cringe at the thought of taking off the door panels to replace the speakers. I have never sucessfully popped door clips without breaking either one or all of them. True, most of my vehicles have been crap up unitl now but still...

Thanks!

My current setup is a stock RBP with a Belkin FM iPod thingy:

You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the same situation like you, but I am thinking of the new JVC unit which can play mp3-DVD's which I posted somewhere here before.
Was thinking of changing RBQ and keeping stock speakers, first trying with stock speakers, then if they don't sound good then consider replacing them.

DeepC

Reaction score
Sorry , but what is RBQ, RBP, and RB1 ?? My stock radio looks like the one pictured. I'd like ot eventually change mine out also but I am still researching. Thanks for any advice you may have.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
RBQ (6-disc),
RB1 (NAV)
RB4 (NAV)
RBP (1-disc with Casette)

i know these, i am not sure if there is another one..

It is next to your SEEK DOWN or PTY button, you can see on above pic, it states what you have. Lower Left corner of the face.
You can see here: http://gallery.jeepprojects.com/details.php?image_id=10

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope, not on KJ ](*,)

DeepC

Reaction score
Whats the one with just a single disc CD player and AM/FM stereo???

sqliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say tear it all out and go full aftermarket. I did that, I went a bit overboard though as I compete in car audio sound quality competitions. Check out the pics in my carstereo.com link in my sig.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
sqliberty, great set-up. I considered getting aftermarket alltogether, but there just isn't any place I can completely trust around here. Afterall for about $500-600 it should be fairly easy to get a great mp3 playing HU and set of speakers and fairly well performing sub. I am parking outside at night, I don't want to lure thieves.

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I actually wished i had the RBP stereo with the cingle CD, and tape deck. Then i could listen to my ipod again for about 2 dollars. ](*,)

Latest posts

Members online