At a crossroad with the KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's been solid, I paid $2K, have about another $2500 in her with brakes, suspension, tires and other misc. parts. As I posted in another thread, I'm hearing some valve chatter, get smoke only when in 4WD and noticed the smell today when I had her loaded down with building materials.

Trying to decide to keep her, update with REMAN motor, transmission, rebuild the transfer case, upgrade to JBA uppers, paint her Dove Gray, keep it going as play toy and daily driver as I can do the work myself, essentially have a brand new vehicle when completed. No intention to sell or recoup my investment, have something uncommon, personalized for my needs. I sold cars, I know how it works, I hate car payments.

Or, keep her going, move on a 68'-75' CJ5 as I'd love a rag top.

I'm not a mudder, I haul motos, building supplies, hunt a few times a year so a big lift is not important to me. If I wanted to make her a bit more rugged, what upgrades besides JBA uppers? OME Stage 1 suspension kit?

I currently have Moog springs, Bilstein yellow body shocks all the way around.

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked with the dealer, they'll reprogram the TCU for $125, free inspection of all the other components.
I know my steering rack bushings are shot, the AC stopped working and suspect the new Moog upper control arms installed last summer are defective, at least the drivers side.

If they can reprogram and sign off on the transmission, I will start with new JBA UCA's, rack bushings.
What typical goes wrong with the AC, clutch? I noticed I haven't heard it lately, use to cycle frequently.
AC has always worked in reverse, Hot is Cold, Cold is Hot, just blew cool not cold.

I bought a new blend actuator, dreading pulling entire dash. But this summer, it stopped blowing cool all together.

If I can get the above done, I'll keep going and decide if all in with new engine.
And then Line X the roof and hood, rest of the paint can be polished out.

Last edited:

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
"Refreshing" is my plan as well, and for the same reason. My big goal is to keep the rust off it. (So far, so good.)

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has almost zero rust, onc spot on the pan under rear seats. I need to Por-15 the area.
Took some shots earlier: https://imgur.com/a/wm4Lwb8

May try to get driver side seat fixed or find one in the junkyard, regardless, plan to put some nice seat covers and Weather Tech floor and cargo.

It's been super hot, wish I could get my air fixed, but hate to spend the funds and then have to evacuate when I replace the engine/transmission.

I'll remove pinstripe, Line X the hood and roof, polish out the rest. Have rims coated in bronze. ON the fence of lifting it because I'll never really use it though it looks nice with a 2.5.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll like the way it looks if you lift it. And I will say that those seats have seen some hard wear. ;)

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With JBA out of the lift business, opinions on Quadratec as a seller of OME?
Considering https://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_50X_PG.htm to replace the Moog/Bilstein, adding JBA UCA's.

I replaced all the suspension/ball joints, but not lower control arm axle bushings.
I know the steering rack bushings need replacing, if new engine/transmission, may as well replace the rack itself.

Latest posts

Members online