Asking for help before wasting time/money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get pretty far with my maintenance and suspension upgrade.
I'm still chasing a clunk from the front thst sounds like it's both sides and I can feel it under my feet sometimes.
Normal bumps - nothing.
If I ride on a lumpy lawn - it clunks like crazy.
Pot holes - clunks.

Part 2

Steering wheel shake is completely insane. Sometimes it fine, sometimes it's shakes. 80mph feels like solid one day the next it's out of control.
Alignment done. Tires are new and balanced. Brakes new. Sway bar bushings , end links, control arm bushing for strut etc all new.

I'm wondering if I need cv axles , the expensive intermediate shaft and 2 $40 moog ball joints now OR am I wasting time and money and it's something much simpler I overlooked?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked motor and transmission mounts yet?
Also the mounts for the front diff

forget what all you have replaced so far as far as suspension
Did it make the sounds before you started ?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clunks before lift. But the steering shake started before. Tie rod ends were very loose. Replaced those same time I did the lift.
I did the OME shocks front rear with the OME springs
Spacer top and bottom from JBA on the front
New bushing for the strut fork.
Sway bar bushing and end links (everything moog)

I didn't think about all those mounts you mentioned. Interesting Guess I'll have to drop the skid plate and start checking it out

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That sounds about like what my intermediate shaft was doing. It would clunk over pot holes and when both wheels would drop.

I did have a steering wheel vibration with it too. If it's the original it's probably time.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 155k on it. I bought for a daily/winter due to the clean underside and almost rust free compared to the rest of them listed for sale.
Slowly trying to restore it to last me a few years

Elderly owned and sat almost a year before I bought it. So the more I drove it the more little quirks popped up. Like the lift gate latch being seized , cluster bulbs all but 2 burned out , the driver side door lock sounds like you stepped on cat, and left rear passenger door speaker doesn't work.
Slowly trying to tackle things

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so.
I re checked the upper arms
I left the sway bolted up but I removed the 1 bolt from each end link that goes to the bar and re attached I didn't in do the entire end link

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting a new parts list. I can't find anything on rock auto for possible front diff bushings

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about your lower control arm bushings. Mine went after an alignment after the lift. The alignment cam bolts where seized to the bushing sleeve. When they cranked on them the tour the bushing sleeve away from the bushing. This allowed the LCA to move backwards and forwards. This would move the spring into the UCA. And u would get clunk sounds even on a smooth black top road when braking. Look for rub marks inside the LCA mount pockets.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I'm so afraid to look. If I have to get a set of new lower arms AFTER I did those pain the neck strut fork bushings and alignment....
I'll check for that too

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pull right side CV and intermediate shaft if its still stock, like mentioned that will cause some of the issues you have

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will check them out this weekend hopefully. Thanks for the pointers. Will report back

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure end links are tightened , I replaced mine and had the same thing after a few hundred miles one became loose. Also check the bushing by the oil filter on your steering rack.

zachr766

Reaction score
This might seem like a dumb question, but when getting new lift springs should you get new shock absorbers as well? I recently put in the daystar spacer kit on my liberty and after a week took it out do to it squeking. Now I'm looking into an actual lift. But I dont have the money to get it all at once so I'm buying each part at a time. I have the front springs now, but didn't know if the new shock absorbers were fully nessesary. I'm going with the OME 1.5" lift.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This might seem like a dumb question, but when getting new lift springs should you get new shock absorbers as well? I recently put in the daystar spacer kit on my liberty and after a week took it out do to it squeking. Now I'm looking into an actual lift. But I dont have the money to get it all at once so I'm buying each part at a time. I have the front springs now, but didn't know if the new shock absorbers were fully nessesary. I'm going with the OME 1.5" lift.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Yes always replace springs and shocks together, replacing one or the other wears out the other faster.
927 springs ? in front?
Buy either OME or bilstein shocks, don't go cheap on them