Anyway to disable the tire pressure monitor system or TPM :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbrty13

Reaction score
Subject says it all....... i put some aftermarket wheels on my '05 Libby and now have to deal with the annoying light on my dash and quick beep error code from the EVIC....... not a big deal, but annoying enough.

matt2wheels

Reaction score
You could just take the pressure senders from the old wheels and put them in the new ones--tire shop should have done that actually, without asking. I think they're part of the filler stem (unless they just won't work with the new wheels but I kinda find that hard to believe...)

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dependent on the curvature of the wheel and the way the bead/valve area is designed on the aftermarket wheels, some fit and some don't.

During a small (3 hr) training session about TPMS thru the retail tire store I work at, removing / disabling TPMS systems from new vehicles that have been government mandated, can potentially open up a can of worms due to liability on behalf of the aftermarket shop selling the new tires/wheels.

Sure, we've not had TPMS for years, but when the federal government mandates it, get ready for the potential for litigation happy customers in the event a roll-over or serious crash happens due to low tire pressure. Lawyers will dig & pry like crazy, I'm sure.

Greg

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they can be shut off so the chime won't sound, but there will be a tpm light on.

dog sled

Reaction score
they are actually part of the inner lip of the rim i think. For some reason i remember them being notched in or something, which required notchin the new rims too. You could always just pull the fuse, just not sure which one it is... Check the owners manual for a list of the fuses in the fuse box.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they should fit on aftermarket wheels also. just have to be careful not to break the module/transmitter when mounting tire on wheel.