Anyone try 215x85x16 tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_bois

Reaction score
While these tire are not wider then the stock, they are only 10 mm more narrow and 1.5" taller. I don't have a lift and have found a good deal on some aggressive snows. Where are the trouble areas that I'll have problems with rubbing?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has this tire size on a liberty but according to the chart below it likely fits in the minor rubbing w/ lift club

16" tire height rubbing
235/65 152.8 no rubbing w/o lift
215/75 161.3 no rubbing w/o lift
235/70 166.9 no rubbing w/o lift
225/75 168.8 no rubbing w/o lift

245/70 171.5 minor rubbing w/o lift
235/75 176.3 minor rubbing w/o lift

255/70 178.5 minor rubbing w/ lift
245/75 183.8 minor rubbing w/ lift
215/85 185.3 minor rubbing w/ lift ?? ***
265/70 185.5 minor rubbing w/ lift

265/75 198.8 moderate rubbing w/lift
235/85 199.8 moderate rubbing w/lift
275/70 206.3 moderate rubbing w/lift

Last edited:

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This tire size sound like an awesome size for snow though. And the nokian hak.. LT makes this size. It makes me reconsider my 235/85 size I am thinking of getting for a winter tire. The narrower the better for cutting through snow. I wonder if it will fit a prelowered liberty. hmm... probably not because my 225/75's already rub slightly when hard turning and there is little space between the tire and the front wheel well already.

Last edited:

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This tire size sound like an awesome size for snow though. And the nokian hak.. LT makes this size. It makes me reconsider my 235/85 size I am thinking of getting for a winter tire. The narrower the better for cutting through snow. I wonder if it will fit a prelowered liberty. hmm... probably not because my 225/75's already rub slightly when hard turning and there is little space between the tire and the front wheel well already.

Something is not right if 225/75-16's are rubbing...that was a stock size for all CRDs in the states and I have never heard of any issues with them. Maybe you have some serious spring saggage going on?

I had made up my mind about 237-75's but the 215/85's are tempting me again. I would be careful about how aggressive a tire you go with in the 215's. I think the ones in that thread were pretty tame and rather small in actual diameter for that size. Others are bigger and would probly rub a bit.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is not right if 225/75-16's are rubbing...that was a stock size for all CRDs in the states and I have never heard of any issues with them. Maybe you have some serious spring saggage going on?

I had made up my mind about 237-75's but the 215/85's are tempting me again. I would be careful about how aggressive a tire you go with in the 215's. I think the ones in that thread were pretty tame and rather small in actual diameter for that size. Others are bigger and would probly rub a bit.

It might be sagging a little in the front but not sure because I still seem higher than most lowered libertys looking from the rear. However, I think the generals have such an agressive tread that this could be part of the problem as well. It has rubbed against the fog light access door on the left side and also my fender cover got pulled off once on the left side (possibly due to rubbing?). I'm itchin' for a lift kit now and hopefully that will solve those issues.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good point about the grabbers...they are wider than other tires of the same size. Still havnt heard of this before though. Any excuse for a lift is a good one though!

t_bois

Reaction score
Jeger,

Have you made up your mind on the 215 tires? I will be talking to Big-O this week on how we can check for rubbing and how they want to work this if they do.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeger,

Have you made up your mind on the 215 tires? I will be talking to Big-O this week on how we can check for rubbing and how they want to work this if they do.

NO...right now it looks like its going to come down to what I can afford.....regardless of size

let me know what you find out at big O

Last edited:

Members online