Anyone flat tow their KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We will be towing ours behind the motor home, just as the previous owner did with a Roadmaster tow bar. But, he was using magnetic lights on the roof, instead of wiring the rear lights. I saw a 4 way plug under the front bumper and asked him why he didn't use that. He said he had an electrical issue under warranty, and Jeep wouldn't honor the warranty as long as that worked. So, he just used the magnetic lights.

Anyway, I got to messing around with it today, and hooked it up to my truck. The KJ left rear tails/brakes work as it should, but the right had nothing. So, I pulled both rear lights out. The left has two Roadmaster diodes, set up to run the signal off the brake light, instead of the typical amber. The diodes were missing on the right side, which is the only thing I can see that the dealer would have done to disable it.

Now, my issue is, when looking up a diagram to see how to wire it for flat towing, they show three diodes on each side for an 05 Liberty....

You must be registered for see images

It appears whoever wired mine up originally, was trying to make it simpler and just use two diodes per side instead of three. using the brake light for signals as well. I'm just wondering why the dealer pulled the other diodes. The previous owner was not a car guy whatsoever, so had no clue what had been done. Has anyone here wired theirs up to tow? If so, how did you wire it. Seems there should be an easier way than the illustration above.

Last edited:

KS06Kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being fulltime RVers, we've towed our 06 KJ all around the country with no problems at all. Wish I could help you out on your lighting issue but me and elec don't get along. We had our RV Tech wire our KJ for us using an generic 4 flat kit (non Roadmaster).

I do remember he had a couple of issues with certain lights not working but they ended up just being bad grounds. Just took him a while to figure it out.

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, I enjoyed checking out your blog. Things like the RV Drive-in park were pretty cool to see. We need roots, so I don't think RV'ing full time is for us, but I admire the people that do it.

Latest posts

Members online