Anyone added foglights to a base Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After crashing my 2002 Liberty, that never had fog lights, I got the front bumper (and wiring) from another 2002 that had factory fog lights. The wiring to the fog lights from the donor car is all part of the same harness as the headlights and front turn signals, so it plugs right into the body wiring harness with just the single multi-pin connector beside the driver side headlight (just like my original bumper wiring). The Mopar wiring harness used to add fogs to a base liberty looks nothing like this.....

I also got the multi-function lights, signal, wiper, fog light switch from the donor car to replace my original, as it was also a direct plug in replacement.

I'm guessing the base body wiring on a 2002 still needs a relay / fuse added somewhere between the switch and the fogs to make them operate, but my Haynes electrical wiring diagram of the 2002 fog light circuit, doesn't give that much detail. It does seem to indicate that a connection between the body control module and the instrument panel, with a "fog light on" indicator light, exists for all models, but it also seems to indicate some body wiring (specific to the fogs) is missing in the base models. Has anyone else added fog lights using the front wiring from a factory equipped fog light car? If so, is there really an indicator light somewhere on the instrument panel that comes on with the fogs?

Reaction score
I read the mopar install procedure on another post. looks simple enough, but I'm using the switch and wiring from a junk yard car (not the Mopar retrofit wiring harness this install process references.

After I replaced my steering column headlight switch with the new one from the junk yard car, I can confirm that the dash light does come on when I pull out the headlight knob to activate the fogs, so this means my Haynes manual appears to be correct that wiring from the switch to the body control module (BCM) exists on all models, so I should be able to power a fog light relay from the BCM instead of splicing a wire into the fog light switch and snaking it through the firewall like the Mopar kit.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you grab one of the inside relays as well? you'll need it.

Reaction score
Fog Light Wiring

After a little more researching, it looks like all I need to do is locate pin# 17 on the connector to the body control module (located on driver side left inner fenderwell near firewall) and run a wire from that pin to pin # 85 of a standard fog light relay. I can wire pins 86 and 87 of the relay to my battery (via a 20 amp fuse) and finally run a wire from pin 87 of a relay to pin #8 of the C107 connector that is located just behind the front grille near the driver side headlight. I'll report back if this works, but wiring directly to the body control module seems much easier than snaking a wire through the firewall and splicing into the multi-function switch wiring in the steering column like the mopar kit......

Attachments

• fog light wiring diagram.jpg
    fog light wiring diagram.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 41

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you missing the light blue wire that snakes from the junction block to C107 even though your model did not come with fog lights?

Reaction score
I've got the light blue wire at connector C107, since I had to get a front wiring harness from a donor car (that had factory fog lights). Looking at the plug on the body control module, I'm beginning to see why the mopar kit doesn't connect there. The plug is definitely a specialty item, and it looks to be more difficult to splice into than I originally hoped.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understood what you said, you have the LB wire from C107 down to the lights but not from the junction block to C107?
you could try to use a different connector where C107 is located just for the LB wire.
This means you'll have the C107 and a single pole connector for the LB wire so the harness can be removed easily even with this addition.

The harness should have the black and black+white cables from the other lights where the fog light ground splices to.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going from memory when I did mine... C107 was missing the wire on the "lights" side, but had it on the "vehicle" side (C106?) I just spliced into the wire there. if the kit had the proper pin I could have put it into the connector and been closer to "factory."

Latest posts

Members online