Any meaty tires in 235/65/17?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried looking EVERYWHERE and am not finding anything with over 15/32 worth of tread. I have just got the Kumho A/Ts which are listed at 14/32, which when I had them delivered, looks like 11/32 or 12/32 worth of tread. :mad:

Is there ANY kind of brand (don't care if it is knock offs either) that sports more than 15/32 in this size?

Dang Grabbers AT2 on my old explorer spoiled me........ :eek:

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know all to well of your problem. Until last week, I too had the 17" factory rims, and finding a good A/T was hard, and expensive. I was looking to replace these again, and as you found, tread depth is rather low, not to mention the 17" size seems to add about $20-40$ a tire.

I don't know what the actual tread depths was, but the last time I bough tires, I bought the Toyo Open Country A/T. At the time, it was about all I could find in that size (235/65-17). I liked them so much I put them on my full-size Dodge P/U as well. Like you noted, the ones on my liberty didn't seem to have as deep of tread as the truck tire did, but I still got about 45K out of them. I wore them down to practically nothing without them becoming noisy or showing any orher problems - pretty good for our 100+ degree summers.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know all to well of your problem. Until last week, I too had the 17" factory rims, and finding a good A/T was hard, and expensive. I was looking to replace these again, and as you found, tread depth is rather low, not to mention the 17" size seems to add about $20-40$ a tire.

I don't know what the actual tread depths was, but the last time I bough tires, I bought the Toyo Open Country A/T. At the time, it was about all I could find in that size (235/65-17). I liked them so much I put them on my full-size Dodge P/U as well. Like you noted, the ones on my liberty didn't seem to have as deep of tread as the truck tire did, but I still got about 45K out of them. I wore them down to practically nothing without them becoming noisy or showing any orher problems - pretty good for our 100+ degree summers.

I did look at the toyo's. But I think they only had 12 or 13/32 worth of tread.

Seems like so little when my grabbers had 16/32. :(

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I don't know if your KJ is lifted, but Goodyear M/T R Kevlar tires
Have 13.69 millimeter = 0.538 976 377 95 inch of tread depth.
Available in a 245-70-17 size.

15/32-0.46875 inch = 11.906 25 millimeter
16/32-0.5 inch = 12.7 millimeter

Then you will have real Man Tires!

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if your KJ is lifted, but Goodyear M/T R Kevlar tires
Have 13.69 millimeter = 0.538 976 377 95 inch of tread depth.
Available in a 245-70-17 size.

15/32-0.46875 inch = 11.906 25 millimeter
16/32-0.5 inch = 12.7 millimeter

Then you will have real Man Tires!

How much of a lift do you need to run 245/70/17? Goodyear makes the Duratracs in that size! :D

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I've got 235/65/17 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on mine. I love them!
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those do look pretty impressive, but I think they are in the same boat as the others.... around 13/32 worth of tread depth.

Soooo..... I might have found what I was looking for. BFGoodrich makes their A/T in 225/70/17 which sports 16/32 worth of tread. Believe me, I am not a BFGoodrich fan but I might go for these next time. From tire size calculators, 225/75/16 is 29.3 in diameter. The 225/70/17 is 29.4 in diameter. So they SHOULD fit right?

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a stock suspenstion, those should work. I've run those on a Grand Cherokee, and they are a good tire, but expensive.

In my post for tire suggestions, ThunderBirdJunking had suggested these:
"Cooper Discoverer S/T.
Cheap and good.
245/70-17 or even 235/80-17."

The size may be a bit much for yours (I'm lifted)

I was looking into them on the web, and one of the reviews mentioned that Cooper tires, in general, had the deepest tread offered by most tire makers.

The only problem I see with them is that they are only carried by a few shops in my area. I'm still going to check them out though.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a stock suspenstion, those should work. I've run those on a Grand Cherokee, and they are a good tire, but expensive.

In my post for tire suggestions, ThunderBirdJunking had suggested these:
"Cooper Discoverer S/T.
Cheap and good.
245/70-17 or even 235/80-17."

The size may be a bit much for yours (I'm lifted)

I was looking into them on the web, and one of the reviews mentioned that Cooper tires, in general, had the deepest tread offered by most tire makers.

The only problem I see with them is that they are only carried by a few shops in my area. I'm still going to check them out though.

Not too expensive. Only about $20 more a tire than my "cheap" kumhos! (attn)

Yea, I like the coopers too, but they don't sell in a size for me to use being stock. :cool:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my Vatiivas, they have a plump feel to them, yet they don't drag and they don't slide much.

You must be registered for see images

Also, Toyos are very good, and you might want to check Dueller A/T, Pirelli Scorpions, and finally Cooper Discoverer ATR.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my Vatiivas, they have a plump feel to them, yet they don't drag and they don't slide much.

Also, Toyos are very good, and you might want to check Dueller A/T, Pirelli Scorpions, and finally Cooper Discoverer ATR.

Did check the Dueller A/T and scropians. Too shallow of tread. :eek: Anyways, the BFGoodrich A/T pretty much meets my requirement for tread depth (although I never thought I would own these "overrated" tires.... long story ;) )

Those do look sweet though!