Anti Freze leak ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troutbum

Reaction score
Hi, All. I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 2012 liberty. 38 k on her, real clean. Only problem i have had was Yesterday I drive to work, no problem, runs like a clock. I back into my parking space, shut her off, and i notice a little steam come out the front grill. I open the hood, no steam, Coolant level is ok. I crawl under the front end and everything is dry, radiator is dry.Only thing i find is a little moisture on the front bumper on top. I drive it home , no problem, no steam. It's about 9 miles one way to work. I'll keep a check on it each day. Not being a mechanic , any one have an idea what it might be, would the over flow tank do this, it was dry on top to. Thank's all:shrug:

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Was it snowing/raining?Did you drive through a puddle? I'm thinking moisture got onto your rad and just steamed away. Just keep an eye on your levels and if it maintains all is good.

Again, Welcome.

Bert

troutbum

Reaction score
Thank's Bert. It was dry that morning, But there was dew on the truck and windshield. Thank's again. I love the Jeep.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the plastic sides of the radiator.
Maybe there was a pin hole leak.

I would also do a pressure test.

troutbum

Reaction score
Did a psi test today, no leaks detected. system was 18 psi, i pumped it up to 20 psi. psi held steady at 20 psi with no drop at all. Every thing is still bone dry , hoses, fittings. Could it be from the evaporator . I know on my other car with auto a/c it runs the heat through the a/c unit to dry the air. I don't have auto a/c on my Liberty, my heater is manual. A mechanic i deliver to said if the evap is close to the radiator like on his Acura , he sometimes get's a little steam from a sponge they put between the lines. I'm no mechanic. What do you guy's think about that theory. System still dry and full.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if pressure test is good then should be fine.
BTW max PSI test should be 16 psi according to the FSM.

troutbum

Reaction score
P s i

if pressure test is good then should be fine.
BTW max PSI test should be 16 psi according to the FSM.
Your right. I read 16 psi on line, my rad cap reads 18,psi. But like i said it held at 20. I'll keep a check on the coolant levels for awhile. Thank's all.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear everything seems normal. How long does the steam goes?

troutbum

Reaction score
Steam

Good to hear everything seems normal. How long does the steam goes?
Just a few seconds. Guy i work with who has owned a few jeeps and works on them, said it was normal in wet weather, fog, he said moisture gets under the hood because the way the jeep grill is and when you stop the fan stops, and steam comes out the front grill. I think he is right, I don,t see it when the weather and air is dry. He has an older jeep and it will do the same.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well with the HD cooling you have a clutch fan, that never stops spinning and the e-fan engages with specific A/C and coolant temperature conditions.

and if you have the dual speed fan only, i would think that it will always be on low speed by default. anyone who has the dual speed can comment on this?

troutbum

Reaction score
Either way, little bit of steam vapor is probably caused by moisture. Like i said ,i don't see it on dry days. thanks all.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the low speed only comes on once the coolant and outside air reach a certain point, the low speed kids on once the a/c is turned on as well.

Latest posts

Members online