Antenna vs. Car Wash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyingpylon

Reaction score
When I bought my Liberty, one of the mechanics suggested that I always take the antenna off prior to going through an automated car wash. I suppose I can see how it could get damaged the way it sticks out of the right front fender, but taking it off and putting it back on all the time seems like a pain.

What does everyone else do?

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in a touch less wash you should be fine, if the wash has rollers which rub down the whole car you'd be better off taking it off

2003KJ

Reaction score
Laserwashes will not hurt it. The old timey ones with the brushes or the flappy things will rip them off....so I've heard. I went through one place while I was out of town that had the flappy things and they took it off (did a fine job murdering the plastic piece at the bottom of the antenna with their wrench) b/c they said they had lost a couple off the Liberty's in there already (not something I wanna hear....LOL).

About 95% I hand wash mine, so it's not usually a problem.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I have only used a brushless wash due to being too cold out. I would take it off yourself if using a wash with a brush. And yes I can see how one can scuff up the plastic at the base if not careful.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wash I always use is laser wash, and almost four years after purchase, no problems at all. \:D/

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is still on there nice and tight. I've heard a few others fall off after a car wash.

2003KJ

Reaction score
The thing that really got me was they didn't put it back on nearly tight enough. The entire 90min ride back from Raleigh and I couldn't pick up a damn station. I got home, and was able to tighten it and loosen it with my hand......surprised the runnin 85mph didn't rip the thing right off.

Since then it hasn't really got extremely loose again. But just incase I check it once every couple of months or so.

flyingpylon

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I prefer car washes with rags (as opposed to brushes) over the various touchless car washes. In my experience the touchless washes don't seem to get the vehicle completely clean... they leave a dirty film that requires something to actually touch the vehicle to get it off.

I guess I'll just take it off for now. I already put a little wrench in my glove box (which is about all you can fit in there!).

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the manual says you dont need to. I've only used touchless car washes for the libby (too paranoid) and I take it off anyway.

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only use touchless carwashes and never get that "film" residue as previously mentioned?

Btw; I for one think the antenna system on the KJ looked lame. The silver antenna on my black Limited, looked like a sore thumb so I switched to a black custom whip from http://www.antennax.com/. Once on the site, click on "Jeep" and you will see a pix of a KJ with the antenna I have. I've been asked several times, "Hey, where'd you get that antenna?!"

- Hammer.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Hammer said:
I only use touchless carwashes and never get that "film" residue as previously mentioned?

Btw; I for one think the antenna system on the KJ looked lame. The silver antenna on my black Limited, looked like a sore thumb so I switched to a black custom whip from http://www.antennax.com/. Once on the site, click on "Jeep" and you will see a pix of a KJ with the antenna I have. I've been asked several times, "Hey, where'd you get that antenna?!"

- Hammer.

Did it improve signal strength at all???

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Hammer said:

- Hammer.

That would solve the issue. Yes, how is the signal strength?

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We don't have to worry because European spec KJ's have their antenna embedded in the glass of the rear quarter window. \:D/

Ian

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
kj lad said:
We don't have to worry because European spec KJ's have their antenna embedded in the glass of the rear quarter window. \:D/

Ian

no offense...."bastages"....

That seems to be common with most new cars. I kind of like the it as it is (or was).

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:

grogiefrog said:
That would solve the issue. Yes, how is the signal strength?

Improve? No. Weaken, yes but only when trapped within concrete jungle walls of Chicago's Loop. Otherwise, living (approx) 25 miles west of the city, my reception remained about the same. Regardless, I can live with adequate radio reception while not having that damn sore thumb on my fender.

- Hammer.

Wink

Reaction score
Carwash...Antenna Woes

Well, no one at the dealership told me about the antenna. Low and behold, the carwash ripped the antenna off and broke the mount right at the threads. It was a brush/rag type carwash. The piece that the antenna screws into seems to be white metal. The car wash told me to get an estimate and they would pay to get it fixed. There was no damage to the fender or paint. The parts cost $46 and the dealer gave me an estimate of one hour for $81. The carwash wrote me a check and gave me two free $20 car washes. When the parts came in, I took it to the dealer and after about 15 minutes of looking at it, they told me I'd have to take it to their body shop to have the fender pulled off! So I took it to their body shop. They said that the fender did not have to be pulled off, they could go through the inner fender liner. They only get $30 and hour for labor but thought it might take two hours. Well, it's fixed and they only charged me $40. So in the end, for my trouble, I still have $40 and two free $20 car washes. By the way...I now have a wrench in the glove box to remove the antenna if I take them up on the free car washes.