An Airizona Air Filter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...looks like this after only 4 months / 7,000 miles (and just ten days on the trails in Arizona, Utah and Colorado). :eek: :eek: :eek:

I usually don't drive the KJ to work (it's my wife's daily driver) but I did this morning. A few of us were standing around talking about me taking the Liberty off road a lot. One guy got on the ground to check out the skids and then he wanted to look under the hood. Naturally I popped open the air filter box and this is what we fouind. None of us believed how dirty it was after only a few months in service.

Moral of the story... if you live in a dusty area, or do any kind of wheeling on a regular basis, it would be a VERY good idea to check your air filter more often than what the owner's manual calls for....

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Schedule "B" service in Arizona, my friend...They are cheap enough to replace with every oil change (ours is at 6k on the 2.8CRD)

I tell people the same thing about their motorcycles CONSTANTLY. A clean filter means a clean engine. Nothing kills one faster than DIRT!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, good thing you dont use a K&N! That isnt a Fram is it? Get something like a Wix or Amsoil if you want a good filter. :)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, good thing you dont use a K&N! That isnt a Fram is it? Get something like a Wix or Amsoil if you want a good filter. :)
It's an OEM Mopar filter (made in Mexico)... $19.45 + tax = $21.03

I use K&N filters on the Crossfire and Honda, I shy away from them on the TJ and KJ. The last thing I need is for the dealer to blame some engine problem on aftermarket air filters since they know both of my Jeeps go off road....

Last edited:

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N

There's loads of discussion both for and against using oiled filters. I've had a K&N drop-in filter in my KJ for almost 4 years - with no issues at all. Like anything else maintenance is the key...
________
Marijuana seeds

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is dirrrrty....Looks like you need to buy them by the case in Arizona.

Dave

ps...both the OEM air filter and OEM oil filter I got recently from the dealer were made in Mexico. That's what it said anyway. I use OEM since I am still in warranty and do my own service and save the receipts.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also use a K&N and Ive found dust on the clean side of my air tube after a run offroad. It was fairly new at the time so you cannot blame me for not oiling it correctly. I just do not trust it in dusty conditions, but I still use it. Anytime I go offroad Ill throw in a good Wix filter. :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
X2 on the Wix. I check mine during every oil change, and tap it on the ground to knock any loose dirt out.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar to NY air filter.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a K&N on-road, have a paper one for offroad. I've taken my airbox out entirely a few times now and just hosed it down, dried it off, and put it back in. Its not even screwed in, just on rubber grommits, removes easily. My fram did the same thing to me after our Apache Trail Run, so after that, started watching it VERY CLOSE....

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting one of those new Fram SynWash filters.....

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like o8k's idea... a K&N for the highway and a OEM filter for offroad. They are so easy to change, it's almost funny.

The only thing about using the K&N's is, that you have to be very carefull not to over oil them after you wash them.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i over oil mine, and my MAF sensor goes, it just throws a CEL and my EGR turns off, then my engine runs better. So no real liability there for me other than the CEL is annoying =D

The fact that the CCV on mine (not sure about the gassers) belches way more oil all over things. So the oil from the filter flying around pales in comparison, only trouble is that derned MAF.....

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people just buy new k&n's when the time comes vs cleaning, others vaccum the excess oil off w/ shop vac. =D

sandracer

Reaction score
Don't blame Arizona! I live in Arizona, too, but my filters have never looked like that. I think I'd have to chalk that up to driving in the "brown cloud" that surrounds the Phoenix Metro area.

Another vote for the Amsoil filter, here.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't blame Arizona! I live in Arizona, too, but my filters have never looked like that. I think I'd have to chalk that up to driving in the "brown cloud" that surrounds the Phoenix Metro area.

Another vote for the Amsoil filter, here.
Sorry, I have to suggest that you're wrong... it was dirt/dust in there. The brown cloud would have nothing to do with a filter being that dirty in such a short period. Do about 10 days of trails and you'll have a dirty filter....