amazon royal purple deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
amazon is running a deal for a 5qt jug of rp and a free rp filter, the oil costs 42.52...i figured some of you would like to take advantage of the deal as well.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understood the craze for royal purple fluids, seems over priced compared to other fluids that are cheaper and better.

bassmanbob

Reaction score
23$ for 5 quarts of 5W30 Full Synthetic at Walmart. Pair that with a Puralator oil filter and you have pure mechanical bliss inside your 3.7L for under 30$. for my area its cheaper to buy full synth and nice filter than to go to a local shop and get the "in house special" for 40$.

Miguel Escobar

Reaction score
Who can said me if that oil is good for my KJ actualliy i used castrol 5W-30 and have seen in many sites, it suppos is the best for the KJ does any one else can said the same or is a big lie?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Mobil1 EP "Extended Performance" is a real good full synthetic.
I now have a jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 full synthetic to try soon though.
I still change my full syn every 4k mile now. If it looks dirty on dipstick after that, time to change it.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil1 EP "Extended Performance" is a real good full synthetic.
I now have a jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 full synthetic to try soon though.
I still change my full syn every 4k mile now. If it looks dirty on dipstick after that, time to change it.

Has it been ran synthetic its whole life? I contemplated switching but at 275,000kms I thought it might be useless.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run away! You might as well use Purple Kool-Aid...the level of protection is about the same depending on how much sugar you add....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Has it been ran synthetic its whole life? I contemplated switching but at 275,000kms I thought it might be useless.
I bought my KJ with only 50,000 Km on it. At time of purchase, they handed me the full dealer service records, all which indicated regular dino oil changes at sooner than recommended intervals.
Even though it had clean oil in it when I bought it, I drove it for one week until I had full syn and a K&N oil filter to install. I noticed on the first syn oil that the better cleaning properties were at work!
At 2000km it was getting dirty on the bottom of dipstick when checked, after sitting over night.
So the next syn oil change made it to 3500 Km before it got dirty looking.
Now I run it to 6 or 7000 km and then change it. In cold weather, synthetics are mandatory for not only flow rate, but providing good flow sooner to moving parts.
I also add now a bottle of LubeGArd bio engine treatment cause it reduces friction & makes the Jeep engine lifters way quieter.
I want this engine to last.
Link:LUBEGARD BIO-TECH Engine Oil Protectant

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I see that Lubeguard makes an Automatic Transmission treatment. Is that safe for our Liberty's?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that Lubeguard makes an Automatic Transmission treatment. Is that safe for our Liberty's?

Not sure how much it would help. I'm a LubeGard fan too but In the world of ATFs, ATF+4 is very good stuff. Not sure either of their "protectants" could make it much better. Now if your ****** is getting a bit tired and showing its age it may improve things a bit. If you have no issues I say just keep up the regular maintenance with the ATF+4.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to get the transmission flushed. Thought about adding that but probably won't. :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what you want to use/Seafoam TransTune. Link: http://seafoamsales.com/trans-tune/
Run a half to a full can in the KJ for 500 miles.
Then change out the filter & fluid. This will clean out any heat soaked varnished areas and may even make it shift better with less lag time. Keep valve bodies/solenoids etc clean as a whistle!
AS far as Lubegard Transmission, you can add some wont hurt.
I have added it. I wish I had a thermal reader, so that I could compare temp of the 42RLE before & after adding, after a hour on hwy in the summer.
I think though the fluid does seem cooler at dipstick with the LubeGard protection in it.
Which reminds me I am going to run the seafoam before summer and get some fresh +4 etc in mine again.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
AS far as Lubegard Transmission, you can add some wont hurt.I have added it. I wish I had a thermal reader, so that I could compare temp of the 42RLE before & after adding, after a hour on hwy in the summer. I think though the fluid does seem cooler at dipstick with the LubeGard protection in it.

Agreed. Won't hurt, that's for sure. I've heard it helps keep things cooler. I really don't have a heat issues with my 45rfe but I know someone who had a ****** that ran hot and used it, it did seem to help although they didn't have an actual measurement.

Never thought of using the Trans Tune like a flush. I like that idea.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the Royal Purple idea. I ran this a few times years ago when I saw it on sale. I was on a 20k OCI but I was doing over 1000 mile a week all highway. 2.0L chevy put over 240k on it with no trouble. Alternated some other "synthetics" like Pennzoil and Valvoline. Ran great til the day I traded it. Never noticed a difference between the RP and the other stuff. Sort of think it's over rated. These new "sort of synthetics" with the highly defined and refined group III mineral base oils perform as well as many full synthetics did a few years ago. Yes the high end POA and ester bases should be better but not sure our KJs will give a crap. I ain't driving a Lamborghini.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Won't hurt, that's for sure. I've heard it helps keep things cooler. I really don't have a heat issues with my 45rfe but I know someone who had a ****** that ran hot and used it, it did seem to help although they didn't have an actual measurement.
Never thought of using the Trans Tune like a flush. I like that idea.
Ya the Transtune actually works and I have proof in my FWD GM Sedan.
Pulled the accumulator to visually inspect varnish and movement inside of bores.
Put things back together, then ran a full can of TransTune for 700 hwy miles.
Now with a shift kit ready to install in the GM, took things apart again.
Ya what a difference...The bore walls were much cleaner/smoother and I used 1500 grit emery cloth soaked with transtune to further smoothen bore walls, then installed the TransGo spring & spacer set in the 1-2/ 2-3 accumulator.
My car shifts great now, unlike the harsh shifts that were happening before.
I think TransTune is good stuff and should help keep things moving freely and I now always run it for 500 miles in the jeep, before I swap out the ATF+4.

Last edited: