AM/FM Antenna options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ITF36059

Reaction score
Well, I just got my antenna snaped off at the car wash. It will cost the vendor about $170 to fix. So here is my question, has anybody done anything different for their antenna? Perhaps a hidden ant and skinning the fender or covering the opening with a trail rate badge? I have an opportunity to something dirfferent and I was wondering if someone else has done amod like this.

TIA
Mike

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I went to look at the Liberty I ended up buying, the antenna was lose and I mentioned it to the dealer and they "tightened" it. That week I took it through it's first car wash and off came the antenna. I went in after the car behind me and I picked it up. Since the vehicle was still under warranty, for 2K more miles, I brought it to the nearest and "best" jeep dealer near me. (I know, so get to the point already) Anyway, it seems the threads were stripped. The dealer said it wasn't covered and they could try and rethread it for $70. I told them to go scratch and borrowed a tap and cut new threads and booyah!, works like a charm. So I guess what my long, drawn out, "all about me" story was trying to get at where did your break? You can retap the threads, you can extract the broken threads and install a new one or did the entire exterior housing come off. I was told that if they had to replace that, it was a complete from the radio out kinda job.

ITF36059

Reaction score

Attachments

• busted1.jpg
    busted1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 53
  • busted2.jpg
    busted2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once tried a shorty flexible rubber antenna on one of my Jeeps. It never broke but my radio's reception suffered.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but does anybody know how I could get my hands on the European "Cherokee" radio antenna? They removed the antenna from the front fender and to a rear quarter window.
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe I have to travel to Europe to get one.

ITF36059

Reaction score
UPDATE *** The final solution

I removed the broken assembly (this is a PIA) and replaced it with the firestik AR-1A splitter for AM/FM with a CB antenna. I covered the antenna hole with a trail rated badge.
This mod did not impact performance on either the CB or the head unit.

Total cost 40 bucks.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I removed the broken assembly (this is a PIA) and replaced it with the firestik AR-1A splitter for AM/FM with a CB antenna. I covered the antenna hole with a trail rated badge.

Total cost 40 bucks.

OOO. Cool.

(bling)

Pics please! I'm thinking about how to add a CB without the 'narky' antenna sticking up from somewhere else.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once tried a shorty flexible rubber antenna on one of my Jeeps. It never broke but my radio's reception suffered.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but does anybody know how I could get my hands on the European "Cherokee" radio antenna? They removed the antenna from the front fender and to a rear quarter window.
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe I have to travel to Europe to get one.

OHHH I would like one of those also if you ever find out how to get them let us know for that would be a nice upgrade.

davidweeks256

Reaction score

Total cost 40 bucks.

So, to resurrect this topic, I have the same problem, and I like that solution, so my question is where did you mount the CB antenna, and what mounting did you use?

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the AM/FM break, try a junkyard- I bet they'll have a Libby hulk you could take the antenna from.

Good luck mounting a CB antenna where you can't see it.

I like the look of my CB antenna (mounted on the back gate near the spare tire carrier.)

davidweeks256

Reaction score
For the AM/FM break, try a junkyard- I bet they'll have a Libby hulk you could take the antenna from.

Good luck mounting a CB antenna where you can't see it.

I like the look of my CB antenna (mounted on the back gate near the spare tire carrier.)

I already got the replacement mount from Jeep (and only cost me $20, since I'll put it in myself), but haven't gotten a replacement mast yet. I'm thinking I'll get the euro rubber 13" mast from antennax if I can't find one locally.

Been using my magnetic antenna for my CB, but as has been mentioned in other threads... scratches on the roof. I like the rear tire mount available for the CB antenna, but I worry about the SWR on that, what with being so near the rest of the body. That plus the cost of the mount that I found on Arizona Rocky Road's website.

Also, it's the AM/FM antenna I wouldn't mind disappearing, which can be done as stated earlier. Ideally, I'd like to get a CB mount manufactured that sat in the spot of the AM/FM antenna mount, then run that AR-1A splitter from there. I have a picture in my mind for it, also involving a spring base for the antenna for the trail...

Well, seems I've run on long enough, lol.

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reception

Well, I just got my antenna snaped off at the car wash. It will cost the vendor about $170 to fix. So here is my question, has anybody done anything different for their antenna? Perhaps a hidden ant and skinning the fender or covering the opening with a trail rate badge? I have an opportunity to something dirfferent and I was wondering if someone else has done amod like this.

TIA
Mike

Look on EBAY for this Seller: antenna xperts.
You can get a replacement antenna mast that is the same as OEM or a short (13" or 14") metal or rubber antenna for around twenty bucks. if it is just a mast that broke off a new one just screws into the mount.:smokin:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.