Alternator noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotelmode

Reaction score
My '04 Liberty started making a noise after sitting for about a week. Prior to that I never noticed this noise. I suspect it's coming from the alternator, but I'm biased because I *want*it to be the alternator. Seems like the easiest component to replace.

I did the screwdriver trick and the sound comes through loud and clear, but it also comes through the A/C compressor, just maybe not as loud. I'll have to do some more checking.

In the meantime, here's a video with audio. Maybe someone will recognize the sound. https://youtu.be/6CqtY0AX2UY

Thanks!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the belt off and spin all the pulleys by hand. Something making that much noise should be noticeable.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^x2 -Also an auto stethoscope really helps to pinpoint noise location.
I listened to the noise, sound like a chicken coop under the hood ! :gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When my alternator went bad it sounded like a rocks in a bucket. But yeah it is easy to replace and about $50 from a junkyard (better than auto part store ones)

hotelmode

Reaction score
Take the belt off and spin all the pulleys by hand. Something making that much noise should be noticeable.

It's the water pump. About 1/8" of wiggle, and fluid is leaking out. I changed the oil last week and already the filter is covered with dried up coolant/gunk.

Latest posts

Members online