Alternator and electrical upgrade can it be done??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I went with a 200a. But not all need 0ga wire. In fact most can get by with 4 or 2. I'm running a 2 amps over 1600w combined with no lights dimming. I get no voltage drop at the battery or either amp. I was getting lights dimming and voltage drop from my sub amp when the wire was undersized

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

rennocneb

Reaction score
im running 0gauge from front to back, and grounding to a seat bolt. The ground is probably really about 2gauge. Im seeing drop to about 12.5 volts at full tilt at idle. roughly 13 volts up in rpms still seeing some dimming. really need to get it fixed.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a big difference after doing the big 3. I did the grounds first and my drop went from high 11v to 12.5, but after adding the 0ga to the alternator I'm at 13.5v-13.7@full tilt. This is with 4ga to the brx1200.1(running @1ohm), and 8ga to the xah125.2.

Edit: When I was running a true 350w with 10ga, I had a nasty voltage drop. It would go to 10.5 on tones and 10.8 on music. It sounds like something might be wrong. What amps are u running, and what ohms are they wired to?

Last edited:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bolt in the renegade alternator and call it a day. It works just fine, stopped the lights dimming when using my plow with lights and heat on high.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edited because I see alot of conflicting answers and my reply might have been wrong. Can someone clarify if replacing the stock 136 with the 160 will be an upgrade?

I was under the impression that since the pcm tells the alt when to charge that it wouldn't use the full charging ability of the extra amperage. Only charging as a 136a alt were still there

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edited because I see alot of conflicting answers and my reply might have been wrong. Can someone clarify if replacing the stock 136 with the 160 will be an upgrade?

I was under the impression that since the pcm tells the alt when to charge that it wouldn't use the full charging ability of the extra amperage. Only charging as a 136a alt were still there

This is what I thought.

But since the 160a alt. came on the renegades with the off-road lights on the roof the pcm's must have been programed for it .... I guess? If that's the case, I wonder if the pcm can be programmed for it?

Dave

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure they'll work, but will they actually put out the higher amperage or only put out 136a worth of charging? From looking through the fsm, the only way to tell would be to hook up a drb. The fsm says the evr controls the charging voltage rate, and uses line voltage and battery temp to charge accordingly. Then the pcm regulates the alt output. That leads me to think that this is based on 136a output. I may be wrong but wouldn't you not see the extra amperage unless the pcm was programmed accrodingly?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I thought.

But since the 160a alt. came on the renegades with the off-road lights on the roof the pcm's must have been programed for it .... I guess? If that's the case, I wonder if the pcm can be programmed for it?

Dave

Well,

I put a FACTORY renegade dash harness in mine (from a wrecked renegade) and adding the single wire that is different from the PDC in engine bay....

The indicator light supply wire from the BCM works. If you put a renegade cluster in (at the very least, all 02 limited gauge clusters DO NOT have the roof light indicator in the cluster, much less the resistor or l.e.d.), the roof light indicator will work.

That is proof that the BCM is cross compatible.

Whether the PCM is the same or not, idk. But I saw a noticable increase in sustained power when I upgraded to the 160 amp alternator.

These alternators do NOT receive a variable voltage input, they are on/off input wire to engage for charging. That tells me that anyone thinking that you can't upgrade it is more than likely overthinking things. The PCM turns the alternator on and off, yes, but that is the extent of the voltage regulators function. That is simple electrical knowledge.

Btw, this was painstakingly made clear to me buy a very intelligent rebuilder, during a discussion on the basic functions of an alternator and how voltage regulation works.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a DC power alternator so bad. I could really use the extra power especially once I get a sub woofer for the jeep.