Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to the actual gains that will accompany this setup, really please let me know. I have not been convinced that these CAI do anything if you drive your Jeep under 3500 or 4000 RPM. I always see the stats and the performance enhancement but that's tested at a high RPM. I prefer a good drop in filter similar to the K&N and AMSOIL like Blake mentions. I have a K&N, keep it oiled up, and it's been good to me.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even with the OEM tube with all it's krinkles in it will cause turbulace on the inflow and thus a measure of resistance (which is bad as far as being able to introduce the most air efficiently in to the engine) Ideally you'll want a smooth bore tube like the K&N setups....I'm sure they can be made for cheaper with other parts.

What you're saying is true, but for the work required for the 04 and newer intake tubes to locate a place for the air sensor which sits on the factory tube just before the TB is a major pain is the butt. You'd probably have to buy another one to mount it in the new tube because there is a fairly good chance you'd break the original one trying to remove it from it's rubber grommet. The main restriction with any factory intake is the large size of the air box (to muffle the noise the intake produces) and the flat drop-in style filter it uses. Eliminating the box and implementing a higher flow filter may not make as much of an improvement as a smooth tube, filter and air box elimination but it surely can't hurt. When it comes to warmer air, if you still have the original air intake on your Jeep, pop the hood after the engine has reached normal operating temperature and remove the cover and filter from the air box, you'll see how warm it gets in there. A well designed heat shield and cone filter can stay cooler if done properly.

The other alternative would be to use a aftermarket drop-in style filter and insulate the air box and tube to help reduce heat absorption.

Argent

Reaction score
right I'm not saying the cone filter/heatshield is a bad design - just when used with the stock tubing you won't see the full gains - now not being overly familiar with the KJ's intake setups I can understand the air sensor problem - I was just adding that information to the collective thought process about DIY vs Pre-Packaged setup and the best way to get the best bang for your buck.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously please. What type of bang for the buck are we talking about? I had a setup in my Jeep but resorted back to my drop in K&N filter. I did not see anything spectacular except for more noise. Really.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the JP magazine web site:
High-Flow Air Intake
It's one of the first modifications many Jeep owners make, whether it's an injected 4.0L or a 327 Vigilante V-8. A good, high-flow filter will really free up some power across the rpm range. Replacing the convoluted factory ducting and keeping the filter away from engine heat usually translates into noticeable power and increased mileage numbers.

Look For: Drop-in replacement filters, whether flat or round, look for a tight fit that doesn't leave any gaps between the sides of the filter and its housing. Also make sure the cotton, gauze, or other filter material is sturdily bonded to the rubber in which it is encased. Cheaper filters can come apart over time and allow dirt and particulates to enter the engine. For entire replacement air intake systems, look for free-flowing bends, good silicone or high-quality rubber couplings, and some form of air dam that isolates the filter element from engine heat.

They Claim: Anywhere from 8-18 hp.We Say: Expect about 5-10 hp at the rear tires with a noticeable improvement in driveability.
http://www.jpmagazine.com/shop4parts/154_0703_aftermarket_jeep_engine_parts/index.html

Also, here's a link to a write up on which filters tested the best using industry standard procedures and specifications:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/shop4parts/154_0611_jeep_air_filter_upgrades/index.html

Argent

Reaction score
best thing? - dyno before and after...but I'd guess that JP mag is probably close at 5-10 hp depending on the rest of your mods

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see the 3.7 L engine we have listed there. It's because we have a good intake now that doesn't benefit from the changeover, it's been proven on the dyno and the seat of the pants. 4WD and SUV mag had an article on it just a few months back. Even with an aftermarket exhaust also added it was a waste of good money. Averaged over $200/hp if I remember right.

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new Cold air intake w/heatsheild arrived today.
Took about 30 minutes to install,
only because no instructions were provided.
Kind of strange, Jeep airbox only held in by 3 rubber plug grommets.

You must be registered for see images

And 1 little thing everyone who works under the hood should have:

A magnet on a flexible wire. Saves for a lot of grief sometimes!

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever stuck a cone filter right onto the TB? I can't imagine it would be that hard to fab a heat shield to protect the bottom, then cut a hole in the hood and install a louver thingy to make a ram air or even cowl induction.

Paine

Reaction score
My new Cold air intake w/heatsheild arrived today.
Took about 30 minutes to install,
only because no instructions were provided.
Kind of strange, Jeep airbox only held in by 3 rubber plug grommets.

'images removed'

A magnet on a flexible wire. Saves for a lot of grief sometimes!

That's a sweet looking intake... your parked in front of a hydrant though...

I've put CAI's on almost every vehicle I've owned, never Dyno'd to find out the difference, but it's made everyengine sound 5-10 horses better :/

Last edited:

KJ2005

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you could just try to make a custom one with a large diameter tube like 3", since this is where all the money goes, what If you get a muffler shop to bend the pipe then paint it yourself or at a paint shop. Then use stock box for off road protection and K&N filter with stock box. If need be bore out the hole in the stock box to fit the pipe. If this was the case, then as noted before the box itself would be the restriction but thats the compromise for off road protection. if anything then you could cut the intake hole larger and a top location to accommodate this.

tdamocles

Reaction score
Better stay out of the water if you get one.
Hate to revive an old post but does this poster mean 4' of water? Have you ever looked at the stock airbox? It is not a tight seal. There are 2 holes at the bottom for drainage( I assume). Can anyone elaborate?