Air intake scoop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone remove the part circled in the pic? One thing I noticed about the little scoop coming from the airbox is that this little plastic piece seems to block it. The scoop is a nice idea, but when the hood is closed, I don't see where it's really pulling air from. I think with that piece removed, it gives a larger opening.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 86

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, just drill out the rivets, no idea if it helps anything except to keep bugs out...i took mine off no positive or negative effects.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno...didn't seem to make much of a difference. Too soon to tell if it'll increase mpg at all. I don't think it'll hurt. I don't plan on fording any rivers so I'm not too worried about water:icon_lol:

I took the piece off when I was "dropping in" a new Amsoil air filter. I also noticed that one of the breather lines going to the plastic resonator was cracked (the right side), and upon closer inspection, discovered that the hose on the left side of the resonator had come off altogether! I've got replacements on order, but in the meantime, I used some duct tape to reconnect/seal them. Weird thing is, my check engine light came on yesterday. Not sure if it was due to the filter change or hoses or what, but I made sure all the connections were tight, then disconnected the battery for a few minutes. So far, so good.

I have a handheld tuner for my car, and it connected to the jeep, but wouldn't read the trouble codes. It might only work for GM?

Last edited:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
won't make a big enough difference to warrant 2 minutes of my time to take it out. I'm sure while designing it they noticed ill effects so they put it in, so I'm leaving mine in.

redpoint5

Reaction score
Even if it increased airflow, it would not increase fuel economy. That's a common misconception. Other things are restricting the intake more than that scoop anyhow. Biggest restriction is the throttle, which is restricting airflow anytime you have the pedal at less that mashed to the floor.

Last edited: